New Shoes for Running....Opinons PLEASE

Options
SamiRose
SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
Hey MFP!!! So for the past week I've been trying on, researching, and looking at getting a new pair of Running Shoes. My top 2 at this point at Waves, and Brooks.

Here are the Brooks...
http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:153129/sku:12008223/brooks-adrenaline-gts-11-womens/?cm=GLOBAL SEARCH: KEYWORD SEARCH

Here are the Waves....
http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:151224/sku:10420002/mizuno-wave-rider-14-womens/?cm=GLOBAL SEARCH: KEYWORD SEARCH

I need some honest testimonials before I buy, and your opinions....What are your favorite shoes for Distance Running? My half Marathon is September 10th :)

THANKS! <3

Replies

• Boladefuego326
    Boladefuego326 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hey hun I've always used Asics (even since I ran X-country and track in HS) and I never went back :D They're madd comfy and last awhile :3 I know it's not one you have listed but they work for me and I highly reccommend them :3
  • smithman921
    Options
    Hey,
    Asics here as well. If you go to the asics website it will show you how to figure out the type of arch you have and then tell you which shoes would be best for you.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Hey hun I've always used Asics (even since I ran X-country and track in HS) and I never went back :D They're madd comfy and last awhile :3 I know it's not one you have listed but they work for me and I highly reccommend them :3
    Totally agree. Asics are the best running shoes I've ever used.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Go to a running shop and get your gait analysed. It may be that neither shoe is appropriate for you.

If you're going to do a lot of running it is imperative you get the shoes as the wrong ones can cause a lot of problems with joints and your back.

P.S. I have Addida Kanadia for off road running
  • SamiRose
    Options

Thanks a lot!!! That really does help. I did look at the Asics, although they are the one pair I didn't try on. Thanks! :)
  • SamiRose
    Options
    Go to a running shop and get your gait analysed. It may be that neither shoe is appropriate for you.

If you're going to do a lot of running it is imperative you get the shoes as the wrong ones can cause a lot of problems with joints and your back.

Thanks...unfortunately, I live in a "small-ish" town and there is NO place that analyzes gait, that'd require a 2 hours drive :( However, I do know I'm a pronator and have EXTREMELY high arches.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Definitely go to a running shop and get your gait analyzed. They don't charge for it, and it will pay off in the long run because you won't buy shoes that you can't run in. I beleve that the Wave comes in several different styles depending upon whether or not you need support, motion control, neutral, etc... I have had both Mizunos and Brooks, and like them both, with a preference to the Mizuno, but that's just me. Good luck!
  • SamiRose
    Options
    I typed the last thing wrong...I meant I'm a Supinator. My heel strike is the outside of my heel....and I have EXTREMELY high arches... Does this info help narrow down what I should be looking at?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Another one who's always been in Asics. I'm currently in the 2160s and have been in the various versions of that shoe since 1996. I'm a mild-moderate overpronator with narrow heels and these fit me the best as far as cushioned stability shoes.

I once almost bought a pair of Brooks, but in the end decided to stick with what I knew.
  • Dizzle_65
    Options
    Cushioned or neutral shoe. ou should have plenty of flexibility and avoid the stiffer stability shoes thatyou can get.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you're not running long distances yet, the type of shoe you get isn't so crucial. I'm using cross-trainers right now since I'm run/walking no more than 5K at a time and I'm having no problems. I have no idea how I run yet but I do know that I have flat feet! I have plans (and you should, too) to hit up a running store the next time I'm in "the big city" (a 2 hour drive for me, too) so I can get the RIGHT pair of shoes before I start running longer distances.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The Brooks shoe that you mention is for over-pronation, so you wouldn't want that particular one. I have the Mizuno Wave Nirvana, which is also for over-pronation. I am not sure what the Rider is for....
  • Dizzle_65
    Options
    Just checked the Brooks adrenaline. it's for stability I would avoid if i was you

The cumulus may suit?
  • SamiRose
    Options
    The Brooks shoe that you mention is for over-pronation, so you wouldn't want that particular one. I have the Mizuno Wave Nirvana, which is also for over-pronation. I am not sure what the Rider is for....

Thanks! I know my feet well, and truly understand my gait. But I know NOTHING about shoes!!!! I have no idea what show is made for "what type" of foot or gait....BLAH.....
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Cushioned or neutral shoe. ou should have plenty of flexibility and avoid the stiffer stability shoes thatyou can get.

Agreed. People with high arches usually have a fairly neutral gait and their arches don't compress much on footstrike so they do best in cushioned, neutral shoes. A stability or motion-control shoe would just exaggerate your supination.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I wear Asics GT-2150 and GT-2160. I would wear Saucony but they're too expensive for me.
  • kayakgirl123
    Options
    I agree with sucha65, go to a place called The Running Store, and if you don't have one of those stores go to a place that will watch how you run on a treadmill. I went thinking I needed sneakers for over pronating and actually the women said that I didn't pronate at all. I like Brooks sneakers personally.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Aren't the brooks adrenaline stability and the mizunos cushion/nuetral. I was a mizuno nut until the 14s...this shoe is much stiffer than it's previous version and I cannot run in it...wasted the $100 on this shoe. I have brooks glycerin 8 LOVE! the 9s are good but love the 8s better. Make sure which type of shoe that you need. Most runner type stores will allow a 30 day trial with minimal restock. I thought the mizuno wr14 were a gimmee since I had already had two other pairs but was wrong - should have gone to my running store not online.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I can't say enough good things about the Reebok simplytone shoes. I haven't been able to run for years due to the shock it put on my knees and ankles... now all that's holding me back from a good long run is my stamina! These shoes are extra super "cushey" and they really absorb the shock. (Side note: these are not good for off-roading it!)
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I've been running in New Balance for 15 years, and also Pearl Izumi for the past 5 (I use both).

Steer FAR away from the latest fad shoes, that are supposed to offer some form of magic. You want a style that has been tested by millions of miles over the years.

Of course, like the others suggested, get fitted if you can. And lordy PLEASE don't pick by color or design. :-D