Does runastic calculate the calories burnt correctly ?

Options
mylaizai
mylaizai Posts: 13 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I just walked for 30 minutes at a moderate speed just to see how many calories it burns and it said I burnt 150 calories. That doesn't sound right to me according to what I have read and I wasn't walking fast.
I'm 62kg and 152cm.
So , do you think it's accurate ?
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Nothing is 100% accurate. No fitness tracker, exercise app, exercise calculator, heart rate monitor (wrist or strap), cardio machine data output, etc. Just know that there no device will be calibrated to give you exacts.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Nothing is 100% accurate. No fitness tracker, exercise app, exercise calculator, heart rate monitor (wrist or strap), cardio machine data output, etc. Just know that there no device will be calibrated to give you exacts.

Yep! Track you intake accurately and only you will know if calories burned are spot on.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    It's all kind of a guesstimate, but I use these calculations frequently--I find that they match up pretty well with my HRM, but YMMV...

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic as well for intentional exercise walks/runs, along with a heart rate monitor. Usually, they're both close in numbers. Runtastic is also pretty close to MFP and other calculators. So, in that aspect, it SEEMS pretty accurate. Though like the above posters said- nothing will be 100% accurate. Each device, will only give you estimates of your burn.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went for a walk and my fitbit told me I burned an additional 3000 calories. In my opinion you have to take these calorie burn estimates with a grain of salt. Track them, track your intake and be meticulous and you will eventually get a feel for how "off" they are and then you can eat accordingly.