PhD with a lot to lose

Options
Tomorrow I start my fourth year in my PhD program. Since I've started, I've put on 60ish pounds. Trying to lose that, plus the 20 I was trying to lose in the first place.

I'm starting a new gym routine and I hope that I have the wherewithal to stick with it. So often in grad school, as I'm sure anything in life, it's too easy to get pulled in too many directions. This semester I'm committing to my health during one of the, arguably, most difficult times in graduate school. If I can do it now, I can continue to do it later on.

Hoping I can find some people in a similar boat.

Replies

• Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can do it!
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am in exactly the same boat, my friend. I've gained almost fifty pounds since starting my PhD program. Every summer, I manage to drop about 10-20 pounds with the warm weather and free time, but I start packing it on again as soon as I'm back in the rhythm of the semester...sitting on my butt and writing, sitting on my butt and grading papers, sitting on my butt and snacking while watching Netflix when it all becomes too much, haha. I'm getting a treadmill soon and hoping to turn it around for good, though, this time by staying active during the colder months. Feel free to friend me, if you like. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Starting an exercise program is a good thing for your health, however, if your goal is weight loss, you need to get your eating under control. You cannot out exercise eating too much. Since you are hear on Myfitnesspal, it is likely you are trying to deal with your calories eaten as well. I just want you to realize that calories in is far more important to control than starting exercise in terms of weight loss. Some people put it this way, calorie deficit for weight loss, exercise for health.
  • NicoleMulberry
    NicoleMulberry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i am very much on the same journey. 3rd year PhD and work-stress-food balance is a challenge. Lost 20lbs but off the wagon the last 3 months and regained 10. Pls add me as friend to keep motivating each other
  • missourinurse
    missourinurse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Consider the Keto diet. I don't get the cravings! It's a lifestyle. Don't listen to the negative comments about it. However, as with anything new, the first few days can be difficult for some. I was not one of them. Mind over matter maybe? I have an open diary.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    The voice of experience and 20 years of hindsight here: my last two years in grad school were the roughest-- not only because of the workload, but because my father died and there were emotional and family issues.
    • Exercise is an AMAZING stress reliever! I did better in other areas of my life--including my research and my classes when I carved out time twice a week to go to the gym. Plus, it's amazing how much analytical thinking and statistical interpretation I was accomplish while blowing bubbles and staring at the black stripe on the bottom of the pool!
    • Don't let a little bobble-- a late night trip to the vending machine, an extra beer after a hard day-- become an excuse to say "to hell with it all!" and give up on your healthy lifestyle entirely. Do your best to stick to a moderate and reasonable eating plan, but give yourself some slack if you don't always stick to it

And one last perspective:
    If you plan on searching for an academic position upon completion of your doctorate, be prepared. The stress of grad school is one thing, but the stress of being new faculty is quite another--not better, not worse, just different. . .and STILL stress. While I managed to maintain my (over)weight through the 6 years of my PhD program, it was as my first three years as junior faculty that I gained 30 lbs.
  • well_insulated
    well_insulated Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in the very same boat.. 4th year will begin in one month and I have to enroll with my 44lbs (20kg) I've put on in the meantime. Two years ago due to stress and guilt I gave up gym, which was an idiotic mistake. This is the time to write the Thesis, that requires hours and hours of sitting and I am determined to find time for sports in order to decompress and control urge to binge eat ice-cream when feeling overwhelmed.
    If you do research, you must like data collecting and analysis! Start an excel file with all your measurements, update at least once a week and when feeling down, have a look at your graphs and goals (and motivational rewards for every major weight loss!) - that's what I plan to do, as I have only began one week ago.
    Just try to watch what you eat, weight and prepare your food in advance. Don't feel guilty to take care of yourself. Find time for sports, it's great that you plan on going to the gym, don't give up! Snack low-caloric foods (cucumbers are fine!). Best of Luck!
  • Mnaminal
    Mnaminal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    To give some hope, I finished my PhD in 2013 a good 40lbs up. I could hardly find a suit that fit for my defense. But I did, and I passed, and I revised my dissertation, and life went on. I've kept a good 20lbs off and then stalled due to a million other unpredictable life events. I came to the realization that this level of stress is my new normal and I just need to figure out how to keep it together consistently or get back in line quickly when I lose it. Embrace the work out, make it as important as your research. If you nail down work/life balance, let me know how.
  • Bead109
    Bead109 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Right there with you! The first year I was all right but it all went downhill after that. I started to tell myself that if I finished and was a few pounds heavier it really wasn't a big deal... from a few pounds to almost 40 lbs!! It's been almost four years since I completed my degree and the PhD weight isn't budging. I just got a new Fitbit and I'm ready to really get down to business. I'd love some PhD weight loss friends for encouragement along the way!!
  • Mrs_Ovechkin
    Mrs_Ovechkin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nearly midnight. Sitting here "working" on my research proposal fretting over the stress eating episode that happened today. I'm thinking how the hell am I going to make it three more years with these terrible habits. Need to get a routine and my priorities straight. And if I don't feel down enough I work in a nutrition and sports performance lab, I should better. Would love some fellow grad student support. Friend me
  • LA_proud
    LA_proud Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am sitting here thinking how alike we all are in this journey! I stopped my PhD program of study with just 3 courses left. I am currently working on getting back into it, but as you know that is not an easy thing to do. I Have so much weight to lose that most days it is just overwhelming to think about it. I know through dedication and hard we all can do this for ourselves. Would love to have new friends on this journey!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what are you studying?
  • sakat726
    sakat726 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I totally relate! I gained about 30 lb, all in the last year of my PhD. It was horrifically stressful and I did plenty of both stress eating and using alcohol to destress (both bad). I've lost about 3 lb but having a hard time being consistent. Anyway, you're not at all alone in it! Grad school is hard both mentally and physically.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    GeauxKacie wrote: »
    Tomorrow I start my fourth year in my PhD program. Since I've started, I've put on 60ish pounds. Trying to lose that, plus the 20 I was trying to lose in the first place.

I'm starting a new gym routine and I hope that I have the wherewithal to stick with it. So often in grad school, as I'm sure anything in life, it's too easy to get pulled in too many directions. This semester I'm committing to my health during one of the, arguably, most difficult times in graduate school. If I can do it now, I can continue to do it later on.

Hoping I can find some people in a similar boat.

I went back to college part-time several years ago and have gained weight sitting on the couch, reading and eating snacks.

The best thing I ever did -- about a month ago I joined the local YWCA (because I love walking and live near a national park, but the heat and humidity here are too much). Today I took a textbook, walked on the treadmill for one hour, and read a whole chapter. I see you're in a gym. Maybe you can do the same.
  • MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was prob about 165 when I started 6 years ago. The first 2 years I crept up but nothing major and lost some but the last few years, woooooosh. Now that I'm in the last stages of my dissertation (I have results woooooo!), I'm taking control and working out and writing each day while watching what I eat. I'd like to say it gets better after comps, but for me, it didn't.

PS @GeauxKacie are you at LSU?
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    When it comes to losing weight, Diet > Exercise

Calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Eat 500 calories under that 1lb of weight loss per week (7days x 500 calories = 3500 calories = 1lb). Track your calories, have 'meal prep' days (I like Sunday and Wednesday) where you cook in bulk and portion out for the week, and have several lower calorie go to fast food places (i.e. places that have chicken burgers or a hot/cold food counter).

Cheers