I took 10 days off!!

Options
Ok so I went on holiday/vacation for 10 days. As I was so close to my goal weight and way ahead of my target date I decided to let loose a bit during these 10 days. I was going to eat what I wanted but also packed my workout equipment so I didn't feel too bad about it. That was the plan anyway. So in only managed 1 workout, I ate fast food at least once a day, I stuffed my face with chocolate, macaroons, donuts, ice cream everything! Most dinners were steak, just like at home but instead of a healthy salad of veg with it, I was having it with chips! So I get home yesterday and tentatively step on the scales. I've lost a pound!!! Wtf? Anyone have any idea how that happened? We walked a lot as the first 7 days were on a holiday park in Holland. One of those days we did a long bike ride, our day trips to Amsterdam, Belguim and Lille we full of walking too...I checked my step counter after Amsterdam and we'd done 10 miles!! Many nights my 4yr old fell asleep so we took it turns to carry him back to the apartment. But I was easily eating more than 500 cals over my TDEE. Now I'm home and back to my healthy eating, should I do more walking and slow down on my HIIT and strength training?

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I gain weight a week or so after I overeat. I lose the same way… a week or so later. Hopefully that's not the case with you and you will be good to go. Glad you enjoyed yourself.. yay!
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ok so while I was away, my step counter and MFP wasn't working properly even when I had wifi access but now I'm home, I just scrolled back through my diary and it has all synced with my step counter.....I was doing about 15 miles walking every day! Our first day at Disneyland we walked 24 miles! I think I have my answer :D more walking for Nicki from now on

I also agree now I'm home that maybe I didn't go as crazy as I thought...just more carbs and sugar than usual which made me feel like I was really breaking the rules
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I did exactly the same as you did on my holiday, even ate the same food you describe in your post, lol, aaaannnd... gained 1.5kg (3lbs) :) Never lucky I guess :)
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We went to Disney World a few years ago and were on our feet for most of the day - of course we were having fun so we did not notice all the physical activity we were doing. I ate the maximum possible amount of food and came home the same weight!

I do think when you are enjoying yourself exploring new places etc. you don't realise how many calories you are burning. It's not a chore like everyday workouts.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I was away for a week, gained a kilo, lost it again two days later. Pretty sure that was just water weight. Like you, I'd done loads of walking and spent hours in the pool everyday.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I just spent a long weekend in San Diego watching my Dbacks and Cardinals take on the Padres and Chargers. We did a TON of walking around town and on the beach, I always took the long route at stadiums (either ramps or stairs as opposed to escalators) and ate like a king. Came back 2 pounds lighter. When you're having fun, you don't realize how much physical activity you are doing :) And, it sounds like you had an enjoyable vacation!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Crack a bottle of champagne and celebrate! That's awesome. I would just take it, be happy a press on.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I did the same for 3 weeks! I'm not weighing myself until next week though...with the amount of sodium I've had this week, I'm probably retaining 5 pounds of water!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're complaining about losing weight?! Are you trying to gain weight?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

I don't think the OP is complaining. Just curious why it happened.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
    I always come home about 5-7 lbs heavier after a 3 week holiday. Just about all water from the food being saltier than my own cooking and flight bloat. It is gone within the first week and I am usually within my expected weight after 2 weeks.

As many have said, it is amazing how many calories we can burn having fun, and how few calories we now need to feel satiated.

Keep up with your regular exercise routine and maybe add a little extra walking.

Cheers, h.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. It can take weeks for a loss to show up on the scale.
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

I don't think the OP is complaining. Just curious why it happened.

Yep was just curious and wondering if it really was all the walking. If I can eat like that and still lose weight, I wanna know how I did it so I can carry on!! Haha