Which comes first, the running or the weights? :p

Options
Good morning everyone!

I was so inspired with one of the threads I read yesterday regarding at which weight you can start running, that I printed out the couch to 5km schedule and started it last night!
We enjoyed in tremendously... and I have been reminded why I was so in love with running years back...

Having said that, strength training is not part of my weekly routine and I was wondering, on the days when I am doing upper body would it be best to lift before my run or after?

I have been saving calisthetics for after the run... is that wrong you thing?

Thank-you in advance for your advice!

Replies

• ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I usually run on the days I dont lift weight. Once I lift I am usually so sore its difficult for me to run long distances. I lift M-W-F and run T-T-S. I always do cardio after lifting though....just not long distance running. :-)
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I prefer to lift weights after my run. By then I am good and warm and can do some light stretching before I lift. Typically, the days I lift, I don't run as far...maybe a 2-3 mile warm up run.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Weights first, then cardio. Been said a few times and proven theories behind why. I also do weights on different days than when I do my mega cardio sessions. When I do weights, I'll normally do some light elliptical or uphill on the treadmill for 20 mins afterwords.
  • McghanK
    McghanK Posts: 120
    Options
    Well, I think both are important. I do Cardio about 6 days a week and sculpting 2 days a week. There are some videos that combine that work outs which I like cause you are killing two birds with one stone. At first all I did was cardio just because I wanted to get rid of the fat and then start toning so little by little I incorporated weights. I do mine at home because I don't have time for the gym and that is why I use videos.
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi Ela,

I have had very good success doing about 20 minutes of lifting before going for my 45 minutes of cardio training. I started doing it in that order after I learned that weight training requires the muscles to use the body's glycogen supply (sugars) first, and then following it with the cardio training can then begin burning the body's fat supply as fuel since those sugars have been consumed by the muscles. Give it a try, I'd love to hear about your success =)
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek34.htm

Hope this answers your question!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Alternate! Actually last night, I ran, then boxed a few minutes to give my upperbody a little workout also. But tonight, I lift.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I do weights first, only because I sweat so bad during cardio, I don't want all that on the machines.

There have been many studies that say both ways work. I'm too tired to do weight after long cardio or HIIT cardio.

I warm up 5-10 mins. Then do weights/circuits with weights. Then I do 20 mins of HIIT cardio with a 5 min cool down 4 days a week. Days 5 and 6 I do long steady state cardio, like walking/running/ET. I have a rest day on 7. Then start all over again.
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    First post here - Hi all -

I'm a certified fitness trainer & group x instructor. I have loads of ceu's & misc. certs in fitness nutrition.

In my experience, 10 yrs give or take, my clients have had the best luck (for weight loss) with

Core work for warm-up
    Pyramiding weights (light high reps to heavy low reps)
    Finishing off with cardio.

Core warms your whole body, work into it slowly - 10 mins, or so, is fine

Strength training will use-up the energy you have stored that's available for immediate use. There's a million ways to skin that cat, but I like to see 5-7 different moves, 3 or 4 sets each, you first set would be with a weight you could do 20 reps, but go 16, your second set you add weight and go for 12 reps, third set add weight and go 8 or 10.... etc.

Of course if you prefer you can go even more reps with less weight, just keep the same scheme. Your weight workout should run 30-40 mins.

At this point you have expended all of your stored energy, you are warmed and your heart rate is up. If you jump right on the (fill in whatever cardio you like) for 35/40 mins you will be using (for the most part) stored energy (fat) to complete the work. I find the high intensity interval protocol to be the best for most of my clients.

Steve
  • ElaKuz
    ElaKuz Posts: 49
    Options
    Thank-you!
    I forgot how much I love to run... and now that we have a very set program (that ends the week before my goal 5km run) I am more motivated than ever!

I also heard about this theory... but was wondering if the same applied too running since it takes so much out you, which is silly because all cardio SHOULD take a lot out of you! :p

I will defn' keep posting my progress... soon I will be getting my goal jeans (just under a year away from goal) and I can only salivate at the thought of how running will help me look awesome in them!
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    Congrats on your progress -

At the end of day the very best program is the one that you will stick with. If you have been successful then stick with it until you get or bored or the results stop. Take a little break and try something else.