Where's The Motivation?

Options
I've lost count as to how many times I've started and stopped and then started again only to stop once more. It seems like one bad day, or even a couple of not so good days, and I spiral out of control. I was doing SO good in the beginning of August and then we went away to visit with family who live at the beach. That weekend did me in ... that was 2 weeks ago and I haven't been able to get back on track. Working out in the morning is what works for me ... or so I've been telling myself - but yet I haven't gotten up early in over 2 weeks!!! Maybe I could try at night after my kids (3.5 & 1) go to sleep. Maybe just changing up how/when and it'll actually stick? That's my problem .... sticking with it .... that's always been my problem. I've been on this road since 2009 and I've lost some and gained some back ... and now have been "stuck" for a couple of years. I've gone back & forth between MFP & WW for a couple of years. I'm hoping this is my final start and I make a life style change and stick with it. I know its not only smart food choices but also exercise that works for me. Please feel free to friend me & help me stay focused!

Replies

• jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You supposedly keep on track with exercising better if you do it early in the morning.

Also, scheduling it in for the day helps. So if you schedule it for 7pm, then you workout at 7pm no matter what (like it's a work meeting).

I've found that I do mine if I get right out to our gym at 6:30-7pm right after I get home. If I sit around, eat dinner, and get the kids to bed before I workout it'll never happen. I'm hoping once we move the gym to the garage I can switch that to 3am workouts, I'd rather finish and be done with it so I can spend time with my kids at night. Right now, I don't like walking in the dark outside by myself to get to the gym in our shop out back.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If you wait for motivation to keep you going, you'll never succeed. No one else can give you the drive and discipline necessary to meet your goals.

Success is less about motivation and more about discipline. It's less about outside factors and moreso about internal driving forces. Motivation is doing something because you want to; discipline is doing something because you need to.

Don't make those things you need to do optional. I've noticed that skipping runs on run days leads to it being way too friggin' easy to justify lousy, undisciplined choices. For the past three weeks, without fail, I've slacked on the weekends because, for some reason or another, I skipped running. Every single one of those weekends, I ate poorly and didn't track well. Knowing this, I plan to make running non-optional on those days. I woke up this morning and absolutely would have preferred to sleep in. But running on Mondays is not optional barring unique circumstances. It needs to be done, and I remind myself that NOT running leads to a chain reaction of more bad decisions.
  • Vickilick
    Vickilick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as you @julie_1217, I start the week with the best of intentions, then I work late, get sick and I don't go to the gym. Then someone will invite me for cocktails or for a meal and then I feel I'm back to square one.
    I've not found an answer to help stay committed, but happy for you to add me if you want someone whose in the same boat :)