Unilateral Strength Training program for muscular imbalances?

Options
kwaz29
kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
Hi there!

I am looking for a unilateral strength training program, and hoping someone has recommendations. For background, I'm on my second go-around with Stronglifts 5x5 ( did it before in Fall/Winter 2014) but am finding that I have some muscular imbalances that are quite noticable, and starting to lead to pain and possibly injury. I'd like to find a program that will allow me to strengthen my weaker side and allow me to catch up to the stronger side. Specifically I struggle with my left knee and shoulder, which are not as strong, and find myself compensating. I spoke to a trainer at my gym in passing, and he recommended checking out unilateral training as a way to help.

Anyone have a unilateral program that they have followed to help sort out imbalances?

Replies

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a specific program, but there are plenty of exercises that could help you even things out, especially if you have dumbells.

Bulgarian split squats, pistol squats, lunges, dumbell OHP are a few that come to mind. Start with your good side and try the get the same reps/weights from the weaker side. Take rest pauses if you need them. Eventually things with even out.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Without knowing exactly what those imbalance are. What exercises is your shoulder giving you probs with? Bench, OHP, both? Perhaps post a vid and we can see what shift or what not your body is doing to compensate.

Without knowing first, probably dumbbell work on top and pistol squats or something on bottom.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers! Yes, on the shoulder its both bench and OHP, and for squats I have pain on my left inner knee, not in the knee exactly but right to the right of it, in the soft tissue. I'll try to take some videos to demonstrate.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Band-Squat-300x265.jpg

Also try some side step-ups (or side lunges) with dumbell OHP
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above, exercises with dumbbells, kettlebells, anything that involves each body part having to work on its own. Have you looked into the cause of your pain? I would get booked in to see Osteopath as they will be able to advise exercises that can also help, and see if there's an underlying problem causing you pain