I Can't Beleive I Ran the Whole Thing!

lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
edited August 2016 in Success Stories
26 1/2 months ago, at age 59, I could barely walk ¼ mile without excruciating foot, knee, and hip pain. I weighed nearly twice what I should and felt worse with every passing year. I started working with a personal trainer doing strength training, walked as far as I could with plenty of rest stops, and started logging my food. Weight loss and strength gains were immediate and steady. My goal was to be able to walk 1 mile without stops, which I thought would take at least a year.
A few months after I started, my trainer encouraged me to participate in a local 5K event with others from his fitness studio. He said it was ok to walk, so I did. I also was joined by a couple of personal friends, which was a godsend because my husband was sick that day and couldn’t come. I was plagued with some of my worst shin splits ever for nearly 2 miles, which slowed my already slow pace to a crawl. We quickly dropped back to last out of a field of 1000 but my friends didn’t care and kept encouraging me along. It took me 1 hour 20 minutes to finish and my trainer and fitness buddies were cheering me on at the finish. I beat the millions of people in Seattle who were home watching TV that Sunday morning.
That’s me, on the far right.
abmrk3re5uhg.jpg

Fast forward 2 years. Today I participated in this same event for the 3rd year in a row. I was down 147 pounds from my starting weight, wearing a size small shirt (compared to 2XL two years earlier.) I ran the entire 5k and finished in half the time of my first 5K! Thank you to everyone on MFP who has encouraged me and gave me race day tips.
That’s me, 2nd from left.
vzjbqcon5l1q.jpg

Here are links to my full success story. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10419681/2-year-transformation/p1
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10347057/my-success-story-made-the-front-page-of-the-newspaper?new=1
I expect to be posting “I’ve reached my maintenance goal” very soon.

60 yo
SW 301
CW 154
GW 150
26+ months

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Yay!!
  • CMenendez
    CMenendez Posts: 62 Member
    wow! How amazing!
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    Amazing! Great job and thanks for the inspiration. This coming weekend I am walking my first 7k(it's a Denver thing) walk ever. I am hoping next year I will be able to run it. Eek! That is one lofty goal. I will remember this post, and say I can do it too.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Amazing progress!!
  • lorrpb
    jdelaroy wrote: »
    Amazing! Great job and thanks for the inspiration. This coming weekend I am walking my first 7k(it's a Denver thing) walk ever. I am hoping next year I will be able to run it. Eek! That is one lofty goal. I will remember this post, and say I can do it too.

Have fun with your walk, then start working on the c25k or c210k program. It will gradually get you to your 7k goal!
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    Thanks! I have heard some pretty good things about c25k. I will have to check it out when I am ready to start training for it.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    You are amazing! *hugs*
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Wow what an inspiration you are! Good for you girl :)
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Fantastic !
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Seriously awesome. You are looking fantastic. We have some mutual friends on MFP and it's great to see your progress. Way to go!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    That's fantastic. I just walked my 1st and I'm looking forward to the day I can run.

Good on you! And you look great!
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    That's amazing! Congratulations! I'm training for a 5K right now. The race is in two weeks and I'm so nervous that I won't be able to run it all.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Fabulous!!
  • lorrpb
    That's amazing! Congratulations! I'm training for a 5K right now. The race is in two weeks and I'm so nervous that I won't be able to run it all.

Maybe you can find some tips that people shared with me here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/37506333#Comment_37506333
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    @lorrpb -- such a happy story! It literally brought tears to my eyes. I don't even know you, but I'm so proud of your accomplishment. Cheers!

• Hyperbum
    Hyperbum Posts: 93 Member
    Super! Congrats on all the success your hard work has given you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,967 Member
    Hooray! I admit, since we're MFP friends, I've known the amazing basics of your story (not to mention experiencing your "can do" attitude) for some time now . . . but reading this still made me tear up a little. You've accomplished so much: What an accomplishment (all of it), what an inspiration!
  • CarrieA180
    CarrieA180 Posts: 903 Member
    Well done! You're such an inspiration on here! :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Awesome job...and a fellow Seattle-ite to boot it looks like. Congratulations, looks like all that hard work really paid off.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    I love this - congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!