sodium

Options
Evamutt
Evamutt Posts: 2,337 Member
how detrimental is it to weight loss to go way over sodium 3x a week but stay withing everything else?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    To actual fat loss, not at all. Though you may see the scale go up due to water retention.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Excess sodium causes water retention which could appear that your weight loss is stalling or increasing when you step on the scale. Is there a way you can control going over your sodium 3x a week? If not, one thing you can do to help flush it out a little quicker and that is to increase your water intake.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever go over the sodium now but wanted to know because i make this yummy chicken dish using chicken broth which is low cal but has lots of sodium, i just wont make it. Also i love chicken soup & have been making it without chicken boullion, it's good but very bland
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you go from lots of salt to very little salt in one fell swoop, things will taste bland. If you taper down over time, your palate has a chance to get accustomed.

Rather than avoiding the things you love, adapt them. You can use reduced sodium versions or just use less of the regular version of broth and bouillon. Spice mixes like Mrs. Dash are good for adding flavor without adding sodium.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Salt won't hurt your weight loss (specifically fat loss, it might make you put on water weight but that doesn't matter). It will raise your blood pressure but if your blood pressure isn't high then thats not a big deal.

Nothing wrong with salt, just all things in moderation. I doubt your chicken broth is going to harm you.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    shirleymut wrote: »
    I hardly ever go over the sodium now but wanted to know because i make this yummy chicken dish using chicken broth which is low cal but has lots of sodium, i just wont make it. Also i love chicken soup & have been making it without chicken boullion, it's good but very bland

I have a few recipes like this, I just use low sodium chicken broth, which is easy to find in most grocery stores. As others have said it only effects weight lose in that you will retain more water. However consistently eating to much sodium for long periods of time can lead to other health problems.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    what has been said above re reducing salt slowly.

I went from processed salt in everything to now just using himalayan pink salt on top of the food AFTER I've cooked it.

And example of water retention due to sodium - on Sunday night I ate fish & chips. Scale went up 1.4 kgs the next morning!!! Today back down to normal!

I drank a sh!tload of water yesterday too, which helped :)