Calorie Goals

Options
Question about calories: I know the whole point of diet and exercise is to burn more than you consume. That being said, my calorie goal is set to 1200. Does this mean I need to eat just 1200 calories? Or if I burn off calories through exercise I would need to eat more to reach the 1200?

Hope that makes sense...

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It makes sense.

MFP is based on the NEAT formula. You are supposed to eat back the calories you burn through exercise since the 1200 calories already has a deficit built in.

That being said, numbers can be hard to get accurate so the general consensus is to eat roughly 50% of the exercise calories you earn.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up so that you can lose weight without exercise. Not everyone can exercise, after all. So, you already have the deficit needed to lose weight at the rate you specified in your goals (.5 to 2 pounds per week) built into your goal of 1200 calories for each day. When you exercise, you earn calories to eat because eating them maintains that same deficit needed to meet your goal.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, you may find that you don't need to eat the extra calories because you'd have more calories available to eat anyway. Those of us with only a few pounds to lose, or close to 1200 calories per day, seem to find that we need to eat at least some of them back because exercise makes us more hungry.

One thing to keep in mind is that your goal loss for each week needs to be reasonable and I'm suspecting yours might not be unless you don't have much weight to lose. The fact that MFP has given you 1200 calories (the lowest it will go for a female) is usually a good indicator that one is trying to lose too much too quickly. Here's a good set of guidelines for how many pounds you should be attempting to lose each week. The number in parentheses is how many fewer calories you should eat than your body burns each day to reach that goal:

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs: set to lose 2 lb range (-1000 calories per day)
    Between 40 - 75 lbs: set to lose 1.5 lb range (-750 calories per day)
    Between 25 - 40 lbs: set to lose 1 lb range (-500 calories per day)
    Between 15 - 25 lbs: set to lose 1 -.50 lb range (-500 to -250 calories per day)
    Less than 15 lbs: set to lose 0.5 lbs range (-250 calories per day)

As you can see, if you only have 15-20 pounds to lose, 2 pounds per week isn't feasible because you need to be eating 1000 calories per day fewer than your body burns. If you don't have a lot to lose it's nearly impossible, to meet the 1000 calorie deficit unless you are spending hours at the gym. The point is, even if you set MFP for 2 pounds per week, if you aren't reaching that 1000 calorie deficit daily you aren't actually going to lose that much because you aren't creating the necessary calorie deficit. You'd be setting yourself up for disappointment and possibly failure.

Since you don't want to under-eat so much that you lose excessive amounts of lean muscle mass along with the fat, make sure that you're losing at a healthy rate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Question about calories: I know the whole point of diet and exercise is to burn more than you consume. That being said, my calorie goal is set to 1200. Does this mean I need to eat just 1200 calories? Or if I burn off calories through exercise I would need to eat more to reach the 1200?

Hope that makes sense...

You burn calories 24/7 simply existing...a *kitten* ton of them. You said you wanted to lose X Lbs per week and the calculator gave you a target based on your stats, activity level, and desired rate of loss goal. Your activity level does not include exercise if you've set it up as per the way MFP is designed...you add it in and you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories to account for that activity (adjusted for estimation error...most people eat back a portion to account for error).

Most women will maintain weight on 1800 - 2000 calories per day with little to no exercise...as you can see, 1200 calories per day is substantially below that.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Eat 1200 plus exercise calories. If you burn 600 during exercise you can eat 1800 for that day. If you're not losing weight as expected, cut back a few hundred of your exercise calories. I always ate the extra calories and continued to lose as expected.
  • bionicbunnie
    bionicbunnie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Got it ! Thanks you guys