How do I eat more?

Options
FarrenL31
FarrenL31 Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I am really stuck and struggling to find an extra 300-400 calories (healthily) to reach my daily goal. I have breakfast and lunch and I've added extra fruit in to the afternoons and I'm still only at around 5-600 calories. Can anyone help? I am working out 3-4 times a week and I have no energy so need to figure out how to put more calories in during the day. Evening meals take me to around 1100 calories but I can't eat until after the gym.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Full fat dairy
    Avocado
    Nuts & seeds
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    What types of things are you eating? If we knew that we might be able to give more specific advice.

More fruit or veggies isn't really the answer when you're really low on calories. The easiest way to add calories is to avoid the versions of foods that are low or non-fat, no sugar, lite or low calorie. Use a creamy dressing with salads and add cheese and nuts. Use real butter. Add oil when you cook. Put mayonnaise and cheese on sandwiches. Those types of things all add calories without adding much bulk.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Ice cream and beer are good.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    If you're so full you can't fit calories, are you sure you're eating as much as you think you are?
  • FarrenL31
    FarrenL31 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I log and weigh everything I eat but my metabolism is shot to pieces lived for years on 1000 calories a day while I was immobile and now I can move again I'm struggling with eating more but I need to be careful as I need to lose weight.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Ice cream and beer are good.

Here here!!

ul4q8s3jp1w0.jpg
  • terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I was bulking, I struggled with the same issue! I ended up drinking protein shakes to meet my caloric & macro goals.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    A glass of milk/almond milk
    Almonds are high calorie
    Peanut Butter
    A serving of chicken
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Five spoons of peanut butter come out to an extra @500 calories. You don't have to eat them all at once either. Do a spoonful every few hours and you can easily add on some extra calories.

Avocado, almonds, nuts, oils can all add in some extra calories as well
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Try some nutrient dense and calorie dense foods like nuts (prefer unsalted ones), seeds, nut oils, avocados, or put a bit of more olive oil in your salads.

The days I need to up my calories I usually go for a few cashews, peanut butter in my oatmeal/smoothie or tahini sauce in my salad.