Running a marathon

Options
Skmellyg
Skmellyg Posts: 158 Member
I have always wanted to run a marathon, however I am completely out of shape. I can maybe run 2 minutes without losing breath. There is a marathon going on in October that I want to run. So I need tips, What should I do to prepare? Anything and everything is needed. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A full marathon takes 15-20 weeks to prepare for people who can run nonstop for 30 minutes. I would try a 5k first.

Here is a plan for a Marathon (takes 17 weeks): http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/130.shtml

I would seriously consider running a 5k first: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    A full marathon takes weeks to prepare for people who can run nonstop for 30 minutes. I would try a 5k first.

Here is a plan for a Marathon (takes 17 weeks) http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/130.shtml

I would seriously consider running a 5k first: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml

I agree. You need to work up to this distance. It's not easy. Why not try a half marathon first?
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Or you might consider a half marathon. I'm using the Fleet Feet half marathon training guide I found online. I start the training (officially-I've been unofficially training since April) July 11th to culminate on October 2nd. I plan to (speed) walk or if I'm capable, walk/jog. I've started jogging but its still hard for me. Hopefully by October it will be easier. Right now I can sustain just under a 15 minute mile for 8 miles, so I should be good to go by October! My goal is to complete the half marathon in under 3 hours.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of time to fully prep for a marathon. If you start now you might be able to run/walk it. There are many training plans online. I run 3 days per week. Tues/ Thurs = 4-5miles and Sat = long runs. For long runs, I add one mile per week until race day. Try to work up to running a mile and walking a mile etc.... the biggest thing is getting in the mileage without injury. Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I'm running a marathon in October. Training starts at 5 or 6 miles to get you there for an 18 week training program. And most programs for marathons in October are already in full swing.

The marathon you want to run, will probably still be running next year. I would do it next year. Use this year to work yourself up to the training.

Otherwise, you really risk getting yourself seriously hurt.

Edit: even if you run walk...

If you had more of a background, maybe...
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    A full marathon takes weeks to prepare for people who can run nonstop for 30 minutes. I would try a 5k first.

Here is a plan for a Marathon (takes 17 weeks) http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/130.shtml

^^^^^ This!!

My hubby is training for marathon #3 in September after having been a regular runner for about 3 years. He had already completed several 5K's, 10K's, 8 milers, and a half marathon before training for his first marathon and STILL had to walk a portion. You are risking serious overtraining injuries to attempt to go from basically sedentary to running a marathon in the space of a few weeks. A more gradual program is more likely to lead to long-term success. Try the 9 week couch potato to 5k program (google it) and then assess your running fitness before signing up for this marathon. Best of luck!
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the others.

Especially since I started C25K recently after a huge gap in exercise/fitness/any type of movement from an injury last year and it's currently kicking my butt - it is a LOT harder training than you'd think but it's surprising how you make progress at first.
  • Skmellyg
    Skmellyg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    thank you guys! I am about to read ALL the responses but I did want to clarify that I was just thinking a marathon, I didn't know the difference between half and full. If that makes sense. Now I will continue on reading!!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Start slowly. Once you can run "a little" without injury, find a training plan like C25K.

Once you've been running for a few months, then it will be time to figure out if you want to change your life to train for a marathon. It's a huge investment of time and it ain't cheap.

Good luck.
  • udlaurak
    udlaurak Posts: 11
    Options
    Half marathon = 13.1 miles
    full = 26.2
    5k = 3.1
    10k = 6.2

I've done 2 half marathons and after completing them know I am not ready for a full. The time to train is extensive, and I'm way too out of shape.

I'd do some 5ks, build up to 10ks, and maybe try for a half in the next 8-10 months.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Runner's World magazine and website has a ton of information (training plans, race tactics, healthy eating, etc.).

Here's a beginner's running program. It's 10 weeks: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--2201-0,00.html

After that, consider doing a 5K or 10K first. Doing a marathon first is like doing a 100-mile bike ride after having just learned to ride a bike.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Also, if you have never raced, maybe you could volunteer at this upcoming marathon? they ALWAYS need help, and plus you can scope the course and really get a sense of what to expect if you decide to run it the next year! plus it will motivate you stick to your training! :D
  • KCmom
    KCmom Posts: 124
    Options
    I would suggest training for a Half Marathon first. Google Hal Higdon Half Marathon for Novices program (it's free and you can print it). It's a 12 week program and one that I used when I started running in November.
    I ran in my first Half Marathon in June (as I had an injury that took several months to heal). I'm doing another in August and in October as well. My husband has ran in 7 marathons (he does one a year, in October), and is trying to talk me into doing the full. I'm not sure I really want to actually! I think 13.1 may be my max, at least for this year.
    Good luck! Take it slow and have fun!
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Agree with other. If you have your heart set on a marathon, make it next October. I diid several 1/2 marathon before I did a full one. If you can run a 10 K now, then it is probably not too late to make a 1/2 marathon this year. The amount of prep time is for your body to become accustomed to all the pounding it will take and adapt to it. I probably won't do another marathon due to all the prep and abuse, but a 1/2 is not to bad.