More vegetables?

Options
swivelbits
swivelbits Posts: 13 Member
I'm looking for recipes and/or suggestions on how to get more vegetables into my diet. I unfortunately don't love the taste of many and don't want to have to choke down veggies because I know I'll never stick with healthy eating that way. Any ideas as to how to sneak more into your diet? (I feel like a toddler you have to trick into eating its veggies. Haha)
I do actually like broccoli, cauliflower and carrots but i need ideas on different ways to prepare those too.

Replies

• 13thGeneral
    13thGeneral Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm also not good at preparing veggies. My biggest hurdle is having fresh ones on hand, as they spoil quickly. One gets tired of frozen, often preservative laden veggies, and having to stop to pick up fresh ones every few days isn't convenient.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I get frozen vegetables and heat them up, add sauces and spices I like. Done.

They have California frozen vegetables that are broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. You don't have to worry about it going bad and can make a easy side dish that tastes good.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Also Green Giant and Birds Eye make good quick microwavable veggies, that could be a good start too.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hit your local grocer or farmer's market and look at the veggies in season. You'll know which ones they are because they are usually on sale. Pick one veggie each week and try to make it three different ways during the week (raw, steamed, broiled, grilled, as part of a recipe, etc.). There are many veggies that you might not like one way but love another. For example, I love broccoli steamed or cooked into stir fry or other recipes but can't stand to eat it raw because of the texture. You might start a journal or use the notes area in MFP to track what you've tried and how you prepared them and if you liked them or not. That way, when they come into season again you'll remember which ones you liked.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice! Pulse a fresh or defrosted cauliflower in a food processor until it's "rice" texture. Makes good replacement for mexican rice, indian food, fried rice. So tasty!
  • jcsgirl86
    jcsgirl86 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like to try to get vegetables in at every meal, including breakfast. Here's a breakfast recipe I use that "hides" zuchinni and is yummy: http://iowagirleats.com/2012/02/16/mini-ham-cheese-quinoa-cups/

Also, here's a different take on tater tots, using cauliflower. I really enjoyed these! While there are several steps in the process to make them, they had the same texture as tater tots and were delicious: http://gimmedelicious.com/2014/07/24/skinny-baked-cauliflower-tots/
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been making a lot of grill packets lately. Dice up a mix of vegetables, toss with a small amount of oil and any seasoning you want to use. wrap in foil and put on the grill. after about 20mins or so, you've got something supremely tasty.

I tend to use zucchini, onion, garlic, eggplant, tomato, carrot, turnips, potatoes, green beans, snow peas, kale, or whatever I have on hand. It's a good way to use up small amounts of vegetables.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    There is a cookbook about this. My friend bought it to help get veggies into her husband. Look for recipes from Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. She put veggie purees into common foods and recipes.
  • TheGreatContigo
    TheGreatContigo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipe to sneak veggies into is Cookin Canuck's Greek Turkey, Rice & Feta Casserole. I follow the recipe but add whatever veggies I have on hand in with the onions and saute for a few minutes. Some of my favorite additions are squash, zucchini, mushrooms, cauliflower, spinach, and bell peppers. Just be sure to chop the veggies up small. http://www.cookincanuck.com/2015/02/greek-turkey-rice-feta-casserole-recipe/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love roasted veggies. Pretty much everything is tasty roasted... unfortunately fresh veggies out of season are expensive so it's not always an option.

Ratatouille is tasty too - 5 tomatoes, 1 large zucchini, 1 eggplant, 1 onion, 1 or 2 peppers, some garlic, just chop it up and cook it until the veggies are tender.

I love mashed cauliflower (can use frozen for that too), I just add one or two triangles of laughing cow cheese or some cream cheese.

And eggplant rollatini... or lasagna. Just switch eggplant (roasted for 10 minutes first) for the noodles. So good.

Otherwise... in for ideas!
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I make a Mexican lasagna that has a lot of veggies & beans in it. You substitute tortillas for the noodles & salsa for the tomato sauce. The one I made last night had refried beans, a can of black beans, a can of corn (but you could use fresh), salsa with lots of tomatoes & a layer of thinly sliced fresh yellow squash & Zucchini; you could easily add eggplant. I have on occasion added left over rice so cauliflower rice would be a good addition to sneak in your veggies.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Have you tried fresh spinach on sandwiches? I pull the stems off when I buy regular spinach instead of baby (which I usually do because it's cheaper). If you like broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower raw as well as cooked, try spinach. Raw spinach IMO has a very mild flavor and tender leaves, unlike certain other "power veggies" (sorry, kale, I tried!) and it's great on sandwiches and in salads. I like it better than iceberg or romaine.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You don't like the taste but you like broccoli and cauliflower. These are in the cruciferous family so I'm betting you would like more along this line.

Try cabbage (all kinds), Bok Choy (all kinds).

Never over cook. Steam to crispness. Try cream or cheese sauces. Drizzle with oil and salt them and roast them to crispy edges. Try putting them on the BBQ.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/cauliflower-tots/
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    BackwoodsDarlin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Zucchini Pizza Bites from the Delish website

I don't use Pepperoni though, I prefer other kinds of meats on top.
    These are easy to log into MFP and are quite filling. Just try to find a low carb Marinara Sauce as it doesn't really take much at all

Here is the recipe and a picture from their site:
    Zucchini Pizza Bites

spwlfmc3qdra.jpg