going out to dinner- where should we go?

Options
dipsl19
dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
my boyfriend and i want to eat dinner out tonight, but i really have no idea where to start. i know i can find things on any menu to eat, if i research the nutritional info beforehand, but are there any specific chains you guys find are diet-friendly? its kind of tricky , i know haha

Replies

• Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I like Sizzler. I can plan my meal before I get there, and the selection is large enough to sate my appetite. Plus the salad bar can be a really good 'filler'
  • Cheryoze
    Cheryoze Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you have an Applebees in your area you might try there. Lots of Weight Watchers, small portion dinners on their menu. Choose water or tea for your drink. Enjoy the conversation instead of the appetizer. Have a great time tonight.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Applebee's, Outback, Ruby Tuesday, Perkins all have pretty good interactive menus with some good options.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Honestly my advice is to find the nutritional value for where you want to go and work the rest of your day around that... then you don't have to feel bad, and honestly if you can't make it work... a cheat meal isn't always a bad thing.
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    California Pizza Kitchen has some salads that are good and low cal (half size, of course). TGIFs has low calorie options that are good. I like Panera Bread, although that really isn't a "nice dinner" sort of place.

Most places seem to have lots of options for people who want low-cal... a couple places I wouldn't recommend: Cheesecake Factory and Chili's. Seriously you can't find ANYTHING on that damn menu unless you want to get ONE appetizer or a CUP of soup or something that like. It's ridiculous.
  • vvillalo83
    vvillalo83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you have an Applebees in your area you might try there. Lots of Weight Watchers, small portion dinners on their menu. Choose water or tea for your drink. Enjoy the conversation instead of the appetizer. Have a great time tonight.

I love Applebees! Very healthy, delicious low cal foods! :D Good luck!
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Rather than trying to find a low calorie meal at a restaurant--I typically just "cut" my meal in half. I order what I want (and find the nutritional information on it), but I eat only half my plate and take the rest home for a lunch/dinner later in the week. Definitely cuts the calories and sodium without taking away the experience and enjoyment out of the meal :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Applebee's 550 cal meals ARE good but LOADED with salt. In general things like fajitas are good. Small steaks with sweet potatoes (Outback). Salads are good if there are too many high fat additives (cheese, friend onions, nuts, creamy dressing).
  • southtowngirl
    southtowngirl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Very good low calorie options at Ruby Tuesdays. They are marked in the menu (with total calories for the meal) and if you substitute the mashed potatos (that come with most of the meals) for a green beans or asparagus etc you cut it even more.

http://www.rubytuesday.com/assets/menu/pdf/informational/nutrition.pdf
  • becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Seasons 52 near you but they have all fresh food on their menu and will make any accomodations you ask for. I think all of the dishes are 450 calories or less. I love it there.
  • angiebugpie
    angiebugpie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like to pick what I want to eat, then find the nutritional info on it before going to the restaurant. I then ask for a box to portion off what I do not want to eat or split it with my husband which is nice on the pocket.
  • sfphill
    sfphill Posts: 19
    Options
    California Pizza Kitchen has some salads that are good and low cal (half size, of course). TGIFs has low calorie options that are good. I like Panera Bread, although that really isn't a "nice dinner" sort of place.

Most places seem to have lots of options for people who want low-cal... a couple places I wouldn't recommend: Cheesecake Factory and Chili's. Seriously you can't find ANYTHING on that damn menu unless you want to get ONE appetizer or a CUP of soup or something that like. It's ridiculous.

I recently ate at Chilis and was delighted to try one of their few low cal dishes. The margarita chicken and black beans was fab!!
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Honestly my advice is to find the nutritional value for where you want to go and work the rest of your day around that... then you don't have to feel bad, and honestly if you can't make it work... a cheat meal isn't always a bad thing.

This is what I think too! If it's a last minute thing .. just enjoy it. Eat half of it and try to fit in some working out so if you go over your calories, it's not too bad.

I always research the restaurant and pick a few out entrees so I have some choices and I know what I'm eating and just plan the rest of my day around it as much as I can.
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You should try Crispers they have soups, salads, flatbreads,etc. its really good and healthy.
  • fergalizcious
    Options
    I like Ruby Tuesday because they list calories for their Fit 'n Fresh options (with sides), they offer low cal sides like grilled asparagus and spaghetti squash, and they have a great salad bar that always fills me up so that I can only eat half of my meal anyway.
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    When we go out I always try to find something on the menu that both of us like. We then split the meal. He usually gets a bigger portion than I do. It also helps keep the cost to a minimum. Definitely get water instead of soda, that alone can be a big help.
  • bob_t
    bob_t Posts: 12
    Options
    The Ahi Tuna at BoneFish has only 276 calories, and is loaded with protein.

Or as others have suggested...go anywhere you like, but just eat a small portion, or split it with your boyfriend. My wife and I split meals all of the time.
  • amandarenee31
    amandarenee31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, a really good quality sushi bar would be nice. Stay away from any fried rolls and try ones with brown rice instead of white. I don't know if you like sushi, but it can be very filling and it's pretty low calorie with tons of protein. Upscale Japanese or Thai restaurants tend to be pretty healthy too. These kind of places are a lot better than some of the chains listed because they make all of their foods fresh per order and use a ton of veggies. Also, if it's something spicy, that only helps your metabolism.
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Seasons 52 near you but they have all fresh food on their menu and will make any accomodations you ask for. I think all of the dishes are 450 calories or less. I love it there.

This!