Gaining weight mostly from muscles. Looking for friends!

Options
Hello there!
Name is Anton and I'm a 21 y/o youngster who finally have adapted the habit of working out three times a week. My focus have now shifted toward nutrition, as that's have been my weakest point.

I'd love to be more involved in the community here. Maybe you carry some useful advice of your own that I might have use of. Either way, feel free to send off a friend request. :)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AntonMG95 wrote: »
    Hello there!
    Name is Anton and I'm a 21 y/o youngster who finally have adapted the habit of working out three times a week. My focus have now shifted toward nutrition, as that's have been my weakest point.

I'd love to be more involved in the community here. Maybe you carry some useful advice of your own that I might have use of. Either way, feel free to send off a friend request. :)

Welcome. First to set realistic expectations, you will gain fat no matter what. With good training and adequate nutrition it will roughly be about a 50/50 ratio. Being young might skew that a bit in a favorable way.

A good structured full body routine will be helpful. If you look at the helpful post you will find a link to lifting programs.
  • emthavee
    emthavee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Currently trying to gain weight here as well. Working out 6x a week on a push/pull/legs routine. Aiming for a pound a week.
  • AntonMG95
    AntonMG95 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Welcome. First to set realistic expectations, you will gain fat no matter what. With good training and adequate nutrition it will roughly be about a 50/50 ratio. Being young might skew that a bit in a favorable way.

A good structured full body routine will be helpful. If you look at the helpful post you will find a link to lifting programs.

Certainly, don't get me wrong; i have been struggling for years just to gain weight. The point I wished to get across was that I don't want to mainly gain fat and end up at +20% body fat. But rather stay within 8-14%

I appreciate the recommendations. I will definitely take a look at any suggestions in case I see flaws in my current routine. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

Certainly, don't get me wrong; i have been struggling for years just to gain weight. The point I wished to get across was that I don't want to mainly gain fat and end up at +20% body fat. But rather stay within 8-14%

I appreciate the recommendations. I will definitely take a look at any suggestions in case I see flaws in my current routine. :)

Cool. If you start with a low body fat you can def stay within that bf range.

If you have more questions let us know.
  • ThatTJS
    ThatTJS Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Welcome mate.

I've just finished a cut and am now looking to stick on some size again. Let me know if you need any help or you have questions.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I like to slow bulk (TDEE+250 calories) and regular cut (TDEE-500 calories). You get to spend double the time bulking, gaining muscles, and adding minimal fat. Then cut to reveal your results in all its glory!

Eat enough protein. 0.8g to 1g per LEAN body mass (so factor in body fat and subtract it). Eat enough fats for hormone regulation (~40 to 50g per day minimum depending on your size).

I personally like to have high protein high fat meals on the regular, and high protein high carb as the meals before and after my workout (for fuel and recovery). Though whatever floats your boat!
  • healthybarrel
    healthybarrel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried looking into Mass Gainers?

My typical lean bulk diet to build muscle with minimal fat is as follows:

6 oz white rice
    6 oz chicken breast
    4 oz of veggies

2 cheat meals a week

+

Creatine
    BCAA's
    Protein
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    That's overkill. The amount of calories and training will determine fat gain.
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

This is what I have been doing for some time now. I float between 14% to 8% averaging around 216 lbs. I started out small and my goal was to get bigger. I've put on 30 lbs of lean muscle over a course of 10 years of on and off dieting and training. Feel free to ask questions if you'd like more details. Your post brings back alot of memories for me ;)
  • S2tupidAss
    S2tupidAss Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting to body build, critical times are when shredding off some pounds to adjust your work out. I clearly was being poor in having the right diet. However I found out HIIT working well for me. I train anytime of the day and challenge my mind to do better.