10k beginner....how to train??

Options
jrolfes
jrolfes Posts: 15 Member
My sister and I are entering a 10k race which will take place March 31. We are twins and this is our bday gift to each other. This is the 1st race we have ever done! It is a walk/run event. Neither her nor I are runners, but we really want to get in shape and cross the finish line together!!! Can anyone suggest a GOOD training schedule for us? Again, we are not experienced runners and need to start out slow. Any help will be appriecated! Thanks!!

Replies

• pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    You could look up the Couch to 10K program. It's a gradual plan to get someone used to running. A lot of people here do C25K and seem to have good luck with it. I just started yesterday actually!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try the Couch to 10K. Google couch to 10k to get info on the program.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I'd start with C25K then move on to Bridge to 10K ( I believe that's what the second one is called). C25K is a running app that starts you doing short walk/run intervals and builds up as the weeks go on. It's a 9 week program. If you don't have a smart phone then you can get podcasts that tell you when to run and when to walk. Bridge to 10K preps you to to go from a 5k to 10k I believe.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    First, read this from Runner's World -

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--2201-1-2X3X6-4,00.html

It may help give you a lot of the answers you are looking for.
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means a running expert. I started running in 2003, got up to where I could complete 10K, injured myself, took some time off, had some false starts, learned some lessons, and now I'm just getting back into it.

Anyway, I really like the teamoregon program (See articles at teamoregon.com). My plan for getting into 10K shape is:

1. Follow the 5 week to 5 K program at teamoregon.com
    2. Switch to the beginner portion of the 10K program once I'm able to complete 5K without walking.

The good news is March is a looong way off, so you have plenty of time. You should both be able to get in shape to run the whole thing and run it fairly well by then.

Feel free to friend me - I'm on week 3 of the 5 week to 5K program right now and enjoying it immensely!

Andre
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Google Couch to 10k plans. I know there are a couple out there that people swear by. But since you have until March I would start with the Couch to 5k running plan. It is a run/walk plan to build your endurance up to run 30 minutes or 3.1 miles. When you graduate that you could then start the Bridge to 10k plan. Both of these are on active.com but if you google either of them, tons of information will come up!
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Hidgon's traing schedule. I started with his 5k and then did his 10K one. Each is 8 weeks long. Seeing as how you have plenty of time until your race, I would maybe consider using C25K program first to get your body used to running.

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm
  • Jbugfit2011
    Jbugfit2011 Posts: 105
    Options
    about.com had great training plans thats how I started...It cool to because they send you weekly emails to keep you on track.
  • runningmate
    Options
    If you like that "coach in your ear" type training, you might also check out the 10K101 training program.. It's a six week podcast style program set to upbeat music with the coaching built in so you just have to run and listen. The website is http://10k101.com