Overnight oats or homemade granola.

Options
I usually have oatmeal for breakfast but the oats and water makes too much. I was wondering how overnight oats taste for those who eat them. Or even maybe if someone has a homemade granola recipe.

Thanks

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What do you mean it makes too much? Can you just use less oats and water?
  • gottagetitoff11
    gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup oats and 1 cup of water. Then yogurt and berries. Im looking for a way to still have the 1/2 a cup but lower the amount of total oats when cooked so i thought overnight oats an less liquid and granola no liquid.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't understand...you still want to use half a cup of oats, but you want the quantity to be less when cooked?
  • bionicbunnie
    bionicbunnie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've made overnight oats in the past and they are actually pretty good! They might be a little bit more gritty that your usual microwaved oats, but are filling and satisfying when topped with fresh fruit and soy/almond milk.
  • giudicea
    giudicea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In a medium mason jar

1/2 cup of large oats
    1 cup almond milk/or milk
    1 scoop protein powder

mix set in fridge over night
    then top with berries or fruit. I like it with blueberries!

Enjoy!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You want the same volume with fewer oats? I have a few ideas.

- Try microwave oats. There are a few ways to do this. I've made it with 1/3 cup oats, 1 cup water, about two minutes with close supervision. Shut off the microwave before it volcanoes.
    - John Glaude's method. Cooked with less water and add cold water to your desired consistency. This is easier for rushed breakfast (no waiting for it to cool).
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SAtQeN8L6z4
    - Cook stovetop in bulk, store in the fridge, and warm up what you want that day. My current combo is two cups oats, 1/4 cup chia, 4 Tbsp powdered milk, and a handful of raisins with 5 cups water. I thicken up no higher than medium.
    - Steel cut oats, stovetop overnight. One cup oats with two and a quarter cups water. Bring to a boil, take off heat, stir, and cover. It is ready in the morning with a good stir.
    - Granola, which is higher in calories from the oil, honey, dried fruit and nuts. Keep the oil/sweetener the same but you can experiment with various combos of nuts, dried fruits and seeds or leave them out altogether.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1590/goodforyou-granola
    - I like my overnight oats a little thicker so I just soak it in regular yogurt without any added water or milk. And frozen blueberries, defrosted and plump by morning. Try out different proportions according to your taste.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    If you want less oats, you have to use less oats. You can try using quick oats instead of rolled or steel-cut oats. Quick oats use less water. For me, I like pretty dry oatmeal when I use quick oats. I make 30 grams of quick oats with 50-60 mL of water (I don't measure the water, just pour it in until it's the consistency I want) and will stand up a spoon.
  • amybluefish
    amybluefish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do 1/2 cup of steel cut oats, vanilla unsweetened almons milk to cover the oats with 1/2inch more. Then fruit on top. In a mason jar, Stir it in the AM, delicious! you can also do it with chia seeds
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    oh i wish oats could grow more, 100g of oats makes me usually 500-700g of whatever u want to call that mass, i wish it could make at least 1000g. guess i need to soak them more
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup sweetened coconut milk and then any fruit on top (banana, blueberries, peach, strawberry, blackberries) in a mason jar, shake and refrig unless I am going to eat in an hour or two. If the bananas are really ripe it tastes like banana pudding. B)
  • Cambridge727
    Cambridge727 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I make mine with less than 1/2 cup of old fashioned oAts , Greek yogart 1/2 , tsp chia seeds, 1/2 tsp vanilla and cinnamon. I add a sugar substitute blue berries and bananas ect. If I have nuts I will add then in morning use a mason jar shake . My favorite is adding bananas , peanut butter tablespoon and chocolate chips vanilla
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think how much liquid is a personal preference but this is how I do mine:

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 tsp agave
    Dash of salt

Put in a mason jar in fridge overnight.

I prefer mine warm so I heat it in microwave for a minute and a half when I get to the office.

You can add fruit, sometimes I add sliced banana. I've tried it with protein powder and I don't prefer that.
    One addition I do love is the Gingerbread cookie or pumpkin spice seasoning from www.FlavorGod.com
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My recipe is 1/4c oats, 1/4c liquid, 1/4c yogurt, 1/4c fruit (or half a banana) and 2T chia seeds. About 250 calories depending on liquid, yogurt and fruit used. Super customizeable and it made great oats every time.

My fav oats were Mexican chocolate -- do water or milk for the liquid, 1/2 banana for fruit, and add 1t cocoa powder, healthy dash of cinnamon and 1/4t powdered espresso. MMMM soooooo good!!!