HELP! Breastfeeding and/or pumping moms

Options
lovinmamaxo
lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I need help and advice! So I recently had a baby boy 3 months ago. I am still breastfeeding and pumping milk for him. I just started back on my weight loss journey almost 2 weeks ago. I have lost 7pds in 7 days. Haven't lost anymore weight in the last few days because I've had to INCREASE my calorie intake again... Reason being, that my milk supply for my son has decreased and it happened within days of me dropping that 7pds and I asked around and was told from other mamas that it's because I haven't been taking in enough calories to keep my milk supply up. I seriously am pumping a whole 1.5 ounces less than before I started lowering calorie intake. Weight loss is extremely important to me because I want to be healthy, and the last thing I want to be is 400lbs again or even 300lbs again! But at the same time breastfeeding is extremely important to me and I'm not ready to give that up either so I'm stuck on what I can do here? My milk supply is already on the low side as it is pumping typically 2.5-3oz every 3 hours and now I'm only pumping 1-1.5oz every 4 hours which isn't good at all,, I'm already supplementing with way more formula than I wanted to but now it's even more formula and I am busting my butt now to get my supply back up! As of today it's a bit better about back to normal 2.5-3.5oz but that's after 5+ hours sometimes too! Any nursing mamas and pumping mamas that can offer me some insight?? Or anyone in general?
Is it typically pretty Normal to see a supply drop when losing weight? Would love new mama friends too! Btw I am Intaking around 1500-1600 calories typically and I'm allowed 1,800 I believe? I have my thing set to lose 2pds per week.

Replies

• lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • eheber9
    eheber9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have nursed and lost weight after my both my middle child and my youngest (2 1/2 months old). For both times, I tried to keep my calories around 1800 to 2000 while nursing. It allowed me to still lose weight and not affect my supply. After my middle child I actually got to a weight I hadn't seen in 15 years and much lower than my pre-pregnancy weight.

As far as supply, I have never had a huge issue with supply so my advice is limited. The pointers I would say are: 1) keep hydrated - lots of extra water, 2) try to nurse your son as often as possible instead of just pumping - the babies are better at getting milk than the pump, and 3) keep trying. I know some people take supplements or prepare special lactation cookies, but I have never done any of that and don't want to give you bad advice.

Also, you mentioned you lost 7 lbs in 7 days. I was told by a nutritionist that while nursing you should not lose more than 5 lbs a week (and preferably less than that), otherwise your supply could be affected. I set my fitness pal to lose 1 lb a week, and then add 400 calories a day for breastfeeding. Even with those settings, I still tend to lose closer to 2 lbs a week.

Best of luck to you!
  • michellebrice
    michellebrice Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was following weight watchers at first which gave me 16 extra points for nursing but it was getting hard to make it out and I was paying so I cancelled and am trying to use MFP instead. I also am eating about 1800 calories a day. So far I feel like that is enough food but I would never want to drop below that! I set mine to maintain because it doesn't include your nursing calories and that is basically what I'm eating and my deficit is the nursing calories and if I exercise but I don't know if this is the correct way, it's my first week tracking properly so we will see! I'm also looking for new mom friends, Norah my baby girl was born May 5th! Trying desperately to get the 60 lbs I gained off!
  • the_dani_girl
    the_dani_girl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have a 7 mo. old, and am almost exclusively breastfeeding. I pump usually twice/day for bottles. I had set my weight loss goal to 1 lb. per week and didn't add any calories back for breastfeeding, otherwise I made sure to drink minimum 8 oz. water each time I feed/pump. That has gotten me down to my pre-baby weight within three months (I started tracking with MFP when babe was 4 mo. old) and now I am maintaining. As long as I fulfill my calorie goals with nutrient-dense foods (lean meats and piles of veggies) and drink my water, I haven't had any issues with my supply.
  • michellebrice
    michellebrice Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh and mothers milk tea is great for getting you back up, I also eat oatmeal a lot with chia seeds! you can also get fenugreek capsules to help too, those are some of the things I got my supply up with and I pump a lot more than I breastfeed.
  • kateflew
    kateflew Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding an 8 month old and I manually added 500 to my target so it takes me to just over 1800 per day. I found my supply hasn't been effected doing this. Kellymom.com recommends around 1800.
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    eheber9 wrote: »
    As far as supply, I have never had a huge issue with supply so my advice is limited. The pointers I would say are: 1) keep hydrated - lots of extra water, 2) try to nurse your son as often as possible instead of just pumping - the babies are better at getting milk than the pump, and 3) keep trying. I know some people take supplements or prepare special lactation cookies, but I have never done any of that and don't want to give you bad advice.

Years ago I did counseling for breastfeeding mothers (and I breastfed my own 4 children) and the above is good advice. Offer the breast as often as your baby seems interested as the baby is much more effective than even the best pump. Up your water and plan to lose slowly while you are nourishing your child. Now is not the time for rapid weight loss, slow and steady should be the plan. Also, if you have a local chapter of La Leche League you could try attending a meeting so you could meet other breastfeeding moms who probably share some of your concerns. Good luck!