I don't know how much I weigh..

Hey MFPers!
I've been having issues with scales.

Recently, I weighed myself at a doctors office (not my regular GP), and the scale said 148 lbs. My scale at home (it's not digital.. has the little pin that points to the number) says 134 lbs. A scale at my friends house who runs marathons says 140. This is all within a week of stepping on these scales, and it's not TOM. I also haven't changed my eating habits at all.

I set my scale to where it is based on the doctors scale a while back. But with SO much variation, I really have no idea how much I weigh! I'm pretty sure it's not 148.. I'm not a big girl. I'm 5'4'' and I wear a 4 in jeans and a small in top. I do have a bit of extra pudge on me, but for the past 8 weeks i've been running along with my horseback riding and other cross training. It's odd that i haven't really lost weight. Or.. according to all of these weird numbers.. gaining weight?
I'm normally under my calories as well.

Any opinions? I'm not sure what to think as far as what my weight REALLY is. Thanks :)

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    5'4" and a size 4 doesn't equal 148, I agree. I'm 5'3" and wear a 4 or 6 and weigh 131. I have a digital scale at home that I use. Odd that the scale at a doctor's office would be so far off. You might take something you know the exact weight of to calibrate your scale. Those non-digital ones can fluctuate a bit, though. My old one did.

ETA: I'm pretty large boned and getting muscular. While our heights are similar our body compositions might be very different, but I still think 148 is off.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    If your current home scale is adjustable, you should adjust it to make sure it's accurate. Do that by putting something with a known weight (a dumbbell) and adjust it.

Also, remember your weight fluctuates throughout the day, so you may be heavier at your doctor's office, etc. because of when you go there (and the amount of clothes you're wearing).
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Different scales....weighing different times of the day.....wearing different clothes.....will result in different numbers. My fluctuates as much as 5 or 6 pounds in 1 day. There are just a lot of factors to consider. SO - just use one scale and weigh yourself at the same time of day to gauge whether or not you are losing or gaining. The number on the scale is just a number.....so also measure yourself and record your measurements. Tape measures don't lie! I also decided to buy a device to measure body fat %, and will be looking forward to seeing THAT number go down, even when the scale number doesn't.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    If your current home scale is adjustable, you should adjust it to make sure it's accurate. Do that by putting something with a known weight (a dumbbell) and adjust it.

And definitely do this too!
  • sugarlovebug
    sugarlovebug Posts: 158 Member
    just calibrate your scale at home. weigh first thing in the morning, naked, after going to the bathroom. This would be the most accurate time.

also make sure your not on carpet, use a hard surface (tile, wood flooring)
  • windybaer
    windybaer Posts: 47 Member
    You are dressed with shoes, etc when weighed by the nurse.
  • BethanyCee
    BethanyCee Posts: 70
    You can fluctuate 3-5lbs in a single day, even with using the same scale. My sister's scale is always much nicer to me than my scale! But I go by mine since it's what I use regularly. it's about progress, not a specific number. :)
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Probably the one in the middle is the most accurate. I would invest in a good mid-priced digital scale.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member

Shoes and clothes don't account for a 14 pound difference, though, or even the 8 pound difference from her friend's scale. I still say that doctor's scale is off. Besides, most women I know wear light clothes and shoes they can slip off before stepping on the scale. :laugh:
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member

Excellent suggestion.

Also use just one scale and don't worry about the others. If you use only one, then you are starting at the same point. If the one at the Dr. says 148 and a friends says 131, when you lose 2 lbs, the one at the Dr. will say 146 and your friend's 129. Use just one regularly and remain consistent with that and you will still be able to see your progress :)
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    FWIW - I have been trying to stay away from the scales. The numbers have a tendency to drive me crazy!
    I am sticking to the plan, and have started to notice my clothes are felling and looking MUCH different.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I'd believe the doctor's scale. Most doctor's have better scales than most home versions and they calibrate them regularly.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member

Also, remember your weight fluctuates throughout the day, so you may be heavier at your doctor's office, etc. because of when you go there (and the amount of clothes you're wearing).

Was thinking the same thing about clothing: may depend on what you wear
    when you weigh yourself at home vs. anywhere else.
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member

Shoes and clothes don't account for a 14 pound difference, though, or even the 8 pound difference from her friend's scale. I still say that doctor's scale is off. Besides, most women I know wear light clothes and shoes they can slip off before stepping on the scale. :laugh:

Very true! haha I took off my shoes, and then when I came home I weighed myself with the same clothes and it was only about an hour later.
    And yeah 14 lbs was the most concerning! I do fluctuate between 3-5 lbs, but 14? that was the only reason I figured I'd ask :)

Thanks for all your input guys! Definitely going to try the dumbbell thing! :)
  • i always get weighed on the same scales at the same time on the same day as i too can gain 3-4lb by the end of the day...i am 5ft3 and weigh 155lb and i am a uk size 14...my friend has some scales and if i pop on them for a mid week peak they always weigh me heavier then i get disheartened and reach for the choc lol only to find out iv actually lost weight maybe you could invest in some digital scales