Glute workout for guys?

Options
Just curious...should guys work glutes (aka booty)? I often throw some glute specific exercises in on my leg days. As a runner, we rely on strength from that area and besides, from what I hear, some of the ladies don't seem to mind a guy with a , umhum, nice "rear view"...but I don't see too many, actually any guys at gym doing any glute work. Thoughts?

Replies

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    and some women dont care for a guys glutes.
    It's not a masculine feature.

Anyways ...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yes, please. LOL

I rarely see guys squatting, lunging, etc, at my gym. They're all working chest and arms. I'm always thrilled to see a guy using the squat rack for its intended purpose. :p
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yes, please. LOL

I rarely see guys squatting, lunging, etc, at my gym. They're all working chest and arms. I'm always thrilled to see a guy using the squat rack for its intended purpose. :p

Supersetting curls and selfies, right?

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, ham curls, stiff leg deadlifts/RDLs, glute-ham bridge.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would say the same glute exercises given to women would apply to men as well.

Bret Contreras has no issue performing a hip thrust, so by all means.

Get that booty!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Distance running doesn't do much for glute/hip strength. Strong glutes can go a long way in preventing back pain.

https://www.acefitness.org/prosourcearticle/5013/build-strong-glutes-and-a-pain-free-lower
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    My running coach had me do a variety of glute work as part of my overall posterior chain strengthening work. examples included squats, lunges, bridges and RDL's.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't really do any kind of isolation work with my glutes but they get worked pretty good with squat variations, dead lifts, RDLs, cleans, and snatches...and cycling. I'm one of the few guys I know who actually has a booty...of course a lot of that is genetic...I've always had a bit of a booty.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've read that making your glutes stronger can assist you in performing your other 'leg day' exercises better. Kind of like when you have a weaker core, it makes it a little more difficult to perform some exercises. And yes, some women do appreciate a guy with a nice muscular behind. As long as it isn't too big and jiggly :) .
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Show the guys how it's done. Please.

Hip thrust. They can help with plyometric movements. You can sprint faster (fastest rugby player in the world incorporates hip thrusts in his training). Also less fatigue with better glute activation.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Yes, please. LOL

Hence, I see a lot of, do you even leg brah.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    and some women dont care for a guys glutes.
    It's not a masculine feature.

Anyways ...

said no one ever.
  • 2lhasas
    2lhasas Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Rear Foot Elevated Split Squats/Bulgarian Split Squat. Not only great for quads and glutes, but great for running. http://www.pjfperformance.net/2013/04/27/the-rfess-25-reasons-to-love-it
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    DYE Squat Bro???
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have 2 leg days a week; Wednesday is glute/ham focus and Saturday is quads focus. In my experience women like da booty so why not work it?