Please look at my Diary

Options
tracymayo1
tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I don't know what is up.
I cannot seem to get over this 198 kick.

I weight with a scale - and "do the math" to figure out the calories on MFP.
I try to use the verified entries - or if I cannot find any - I double check the choice on the Web.

I started doing more walking in the evenings, every other night (when I can) to up my steps and exercise - and I cannot believe walking would cause the water retention that happens when you start "working out" - I mean how much repair can my muscles need after a brisk walk?

I started this in June... have lost just over 12 pounds got up to 13 on one weigh in - then went back up the next day and haven't been past it since.

I feel like I am doing everything right - and I know weight loss isn't linear - I weigh everyday and log the trend on Weightgrapher - but its staying "straight" now and I am worried...

MFP auto corrected my calories from 1600 to 1590 a day once I hit the 12lbs lost mark earlier this week, but I am almost always (except for 2 times where I was over 1 and just a few under another) WAY under my goal - I just don't get it - and I am starting to get demoralized :(

The worst part is, is I set my goal to 175lbs - which was only a short term goal - I want to lose more than that by the end of this - but I am starting to think I won't even get to THAT initial goal.

5'11
SW 210
CW 198.8 (this morning) - 197.6 (last logged)
GW 175 (initial) 165 (end)
tya8gzlsjird.jpg

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you are using a scale and MFP, there shouldn't be a need to do any math - you log the amount the scale displays, and MFP does the math.
    Verified entries can be just as bad as all the rest. Double check everything.
    Are you using the recipe builder when you cook?

Oh, and weight loss will slow down as you lose weight, but you already know that.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    This past weekend you're missing a few breakfast/lunch meals. The previous weekend you have nothing logged at all. It doesn't look like you're weighing everything, either.

It's only been two weeks, which can be a normal stall. But it does look like you're eating more than you think.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi Tracy,
    I've been there - in fact was there a long time. I can only tell you what has finally started to work really well for me. I eat more often, 4-5 times a day. I eat more lean protein. My best days are between 110-130g. Primary easy sources are 1% cottage cheese, Siggi's yogurt, turkey, lean beef, chicken, eggs, egg whites. I have to plan to be able to get enough, mostly just by being sure it's available and easier to grab. I eat less carbs overall and primarily from non-processed sources (fruit/veg) and lose best at about 100g most days. I limit sugar a lot, not for any health reasons, but mostly because I find it makes me crave more. I've gotten really friendly with my food scale. And finally, and most importantly I'm sure, doing the above has allowed me to cut calories and still feel great. You are taller and likely need more but try to cut maybe a 100 more a day for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Best of luck!
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    This past weekend you're missing a few breakfast/lunch meals. The previous weekend you have nothing logged at all. It doesn't look like you're weighing everything, either.

It's only been two weeks, which can be a normal stall. But it does look like you're eating more than you think.

The previous weekend we were camping and I didn't have any signal to access the site so I din't log anything.

Last weekend - I did log... that is what I ate all day...

I do use a food scale - and when I say "do the math" I mean if I only ate say 83 grams of something, then I know to enter 0.83 of 100g on the food log.

Some items I only find in OZ or such - so I will search online for a conversion chart, and convert it to what I need - that is also what I meant by doing the math...

• tracymayo1
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    Hi Tracy,
    I've been there - in fact was there a long time. I can only tell you what has finally started to work really well for me. I eat more often, 4-5 times a day. I eat more lean protein. My best days are between 110-130g. Primary easy sources are 1% cottage cheese, Siggi's yogurt, turkey, lean beef, chicken, eggs, egg whites. I have to plan to be able to get enough, mostly just by being sure it's available and easier to grab. I eat less carbs overall and primarily from non-processed sources (fruit/veg) and lose best at about 100g most days. I limit sugar a lot, not for any health reasons, but mostly because I find it makes me crave more. I've gotten really friendly with my food scale. And finally, and most importantly I'm sure, doing the above has allowed me to cut calories and still feel great. You are taller and likely need more but try to cut maybe a 100 more a day for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Best of luck!

@solieco1 - the problem I have is that generally speaking - I am about 500+ calories UNDER my goal everyday.
    I also don't eat back any calories I get from my walks or bike rides - because I do them in the evening, and by the time I get home and shower, I usually go to bed.

I could try to up my protein in general - and other than my tuna and yoghurt, I am not really eating much in the pre packaged food department. Sure I will have the hot dogs and such every now and then - but they always fit in my daily calorie allotment)

I will keep doing what I am doing - and keep on my walks and bike rides and hope my body gets the message!
    I KNOW that as long as I am logging properly (I will try harder to recheck all the stats - although sometimes it is more difficult in Canada as they arent the same) - and I suppose hope for the best.
    I would rather that than be back here a year from now worse off than I started...

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    @tracymayo1 I hear you. I just know that I thought I was eating certain amount too and stayed within the same 5 pounds for a really long time. Until I changed how I ate and made sure to account for everything it didn't really start to fall. The frustration is real when you stall! Wishing you all the best.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

The previous weekend we were camping and I didn't have any signal to access the site so I din't log anything.

Last weekend - I did log... that is what I ate all day...

I do use a food scale - and when I say "do the math" I mean if I only ate say 83 grams of something, then I know to enter 0.83 of 100g on the food log.

Some items I only find in OZ or such - so I will search online for a conversion chart, and convert it to what I need - that is also what I meant by doing the math...

I said that after seeing three straight days with 97 grams of avocado. I went back further and saw a higher amount logged. I don't think I could get the same weight two days in a row so good for you! But what about something like the bread you use? Does that come out the same weight every time?

Give yourself another two weeks. If you still aren't losing, then see if there is a place you can tighten up your logging.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far!! Besides the missing entries I did notice your diet is very carb heavy. Try increasing your protein intake and keeping the carbs under 200. Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water (8 cup minimum). From the few entries I saw there were several sodium bombs there and that can cause water retention.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    @malibu927 - I can see your point... I usually take 1 avocado and prep it 1/2 - 1/2 by weight to log the same for 2 days.
    As for the bread - I do weigh it and when it shows as UNDER the weight on the "serving size" I will leave it as the serving size - knowing it is now a bit higher than what I actually ate.
    I would prefer it be rounded up that way just in case something is off somewhere else.

But I do agree I need to look harder at my logged items.
    Funny thing is i noticed yesterday that Twizzlers for example I found 2 different calorie contents online... we dont have the bag available for me to check as it is in the lunch room - so I would log the higher calorie version to be safe...
    I tend to always pick the highest available option in cases like that.

Also - I do use the recipe builder (for things like the Banana Banana bread and other such items).
    If I have something that is cooked together, I usually weigh each item separately and then add them separately onto my diary - only because I don't make the same amount each time (like chicken and rice or hamburger steaks etc...)
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    @cathipa Thank you for your reply!
    I do know I have some days that are heavy in salt and usually the next day I see a spike on the scale because of it.

I honestly never tracked the carbs and such, I only worried about the calories.

I only had a couple of entries when the "your carbohydrate goal is XXX and this item has YYY carbs" messages - I do get this more with the sodium though.
    And I will admit that I struggle with drinking water like I should.. I just dont think about it cause I am not thirsty...
    I have 2 bottles on my desk - and they are almost always empty...

I am also on a diuretic for my blood pressure - you would think water retention wouldn't be an issue!
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    solieco1 wrote: »
    Hi Tracy,

@solieco1 - the problem I have is that generally speaking - I am about 500+ calories UNDER my goal everyday.
    I also don't eat back any calories I get from my walks or bike rides - because I do them in the evening, and by the time I get home and shower, I usually go to bed.

Looking at this logically, if you're weight has plateaued then you're not eating 500 under your goal everyday, you must be eating around maintenance level.
    Somethings got to be going wrong with your weighing/logging - I'd start by double checking everything you log. If you've got e.g. an entry for butter in your diary that was initially logged incorrectly, and you're using that entry everyday, you could be missing a huge number of calories that you're consuming.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    but I don't that I know of... from what I can see, my entries picked are good - I have to start double checking them all when I have the time after work - but this is why I was hoping others could check the diary and see.
    It is open for everyone - and you can see for yourself I am almost consistently under.
    And 'under by enough that if a couple of things are off then it should be covered.

I will look at them again - but so far I don't see anything glaringly obvious.

Maybe i am just at a minor stall for some reason
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    Well I just went to double check the most common items on my diary... like avocados, and some of the snacks.. and it seems I used the correct entries for them.
    And I have weighed the portion with my scale so I know that that is correct...

I am kind of stumped... lets see what tomorrow brings I guess.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Any entry that says 'generic' or 'usda' is a user-created entry as opposed to a system created entry. For whole foods I get the syntax from the USDA database and then search MFP database for the corresponding entry.

The USDA gives 390 calories for 452 grams of 'Corn, sweet, yellow, raw' vs your entry 'Generic corn - Corn on the cob (TM)' which gave 479 calories, which is of course more, but it illustrates the importance of finding good entries.

Your avocado entry does look like a system entry which came from the USDA database.

'Kiwifruit, green, raw' has 53 calories for 87 grams vs your 'Asda - Kiwi''s 44. Not a big difference, but perhaps all these discrepancies are adding up.

Are you verifying MFP entries for packaged food against the label?
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Any entry that says 'generic' or 'usda' is a user-created entry as opposed to a system created entry. For whole foods I get the syntax from the USDA database and then search MFP database for the corresponding entry.

The USDA gives 390 calories for 452 grams of 'Corn, sweet, yellow, raw' vs your entry 'Generic corn - Corn on the cob (TM)' which gave 479 calories, which is of course more, but it illustrates the importance of finding good entries.

Your avocado entry does look like a system entry which came from the USDA database.

'Kiwifruit, green, raw' has 53 calories for 87 grams vs your 'Asda - Kiwi''s 44. Not a big difference, but perhaps all these discrepancies are adding up.

Are you verifying MFP entries for packaged food against the label?

For the Kiwi Fruit and Corn on the cob I googled it and used the Nutrional information that shows on the right of the screen. I am really not sure where that comes from... but that was where I took it from. (and why is corn on the cob so much higher than canned corn?!?!)

I also live in Canada - and not all the prepared foods are the same nutrition wise - and our Canada site for food info isn't like the USDA one - I still haven't figured it out when looking it over today.

For things like the bread and such - I will compare the label on the goods to the entry I picked and I choose the one that matches. Granted I do not always take the choice with the check mark - but if the information is the same I don't worry about it...

I do see how things can add up - but I would have thought the not eating back any exercise calories and almost always being UNDER goal would make up for any minor discrepancies.
    I am not picking entries that seem to be TOTALLY off - not from what I went back to look at anyway...
    and other than the camping weekend where I logged nothing - I always log EVERYTHING I eat.

I guess I just figured there would be at least a little more to show after 3+ months...

• GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    First, let me say I am always envious and folks being able to eat above my allotment of 1200 - old and short will do that for you! AnyWAY, in looking over your dairy, I am going to have to agree with several posters, perhaps take a look at and adjust your protein intake as compared to your carbs. Perhaps it doesn't for everyone, but, I know for me less carbs, more leans proteins is the ticket.
  • tracymayo1
    edited August 2016
    Options
    But it seems most of my food has the carbs!
    I suppose I can replace the Ozery morning round in the morning with a hard boiled egg or 2?
    I can stop eating the sandwiches for lunch and only have my Mason Jar soups...
    But even the fruit and veg I eat has carbs!

I don't mind trying it out - but I need this to be something sustainable too.
    I love my bread - and I will not be able to cut it out completely.
    Are there lower carb alternatives?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would set your goal to be 30% protein,40% carbs & 30% fat.

EDITED %
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    The most common breakdown I see for macros, and the one I use as well, is 40c, 30f and 30p. And even then I don't hit my macros most days. I aim for a minimum of 100g protein (which works out to just under 1g/lb of lean body weight) and let everything else fall where it will.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to tighten up your logging. There's no need to over-estimate 'just in case'; be as accurate you can be with both measuring and choosing database entries. If you can't find an accurate entry, create your own. Personally, I would never use an entry that's been misspelled - if they can't get the name right what confidence can I have that they've got the nutrition right? I create my own entries from either the packaging, the manufacturer's website or the store website. Don't go by 'servings', use the per 100g information.

You've already lost weight (well done!) and it may be that your estimates worked out well for that, however they might not now you've lost weight so quit estimating and carry on losing. Best of luck!