Oh the struggle

Options
I could just use some words of encouragement. I'll be honest- I don't visit the forums often but I am feeling down on myself lately... What can I say? Obesity runs in the family, I have a busy schedule (work FT and have 3 beautiful children), I had a baby 6 months ago... so on and so on... You know what this is- excuses! I just want to eat healthy and establish good habits! Why is it so hard?!?! I see my family struggle with this and I want to shake them and say 'you can do it! no fad diets! just eat healthy and exercise!'. But the truth is- I struggle just as much! Every morning, I tell myself just log your calories! And then by lunch I lose motivation and want to grab a snack at the vending machine...then at night...well that's the worst! I already screwed up today- might as well raid the fridge! Sorry for the ramble! I could go on forever! I just could use some encouragement- how did you guys overcome the feeling of being stuck in old ways (in terms of healthy living) and overwhelmed by life? What was your motivation!?!?!

Replies

• ahester5888
    ahester5888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also a mother and in the same boat as you. In the beginning of the year, I started my weight loss journey. I lost weight and so many inches... Then I had to have a hysterectomy. 6 weeks post surgery I was excited to start losing weight again and going to the gym... THEN rolled my foot and got a grade 3 ankle sprain and have been out of commission ever since. I gained all the weight back plus more weight since i couldn't workout. I'm just now able to attempt this again and it is so hard and depressing! I guess looking at my end goal is what is depressing me so I am making a lot of short term goals to see if that works. Hoping this calorie counter works!!!
  • sohifirefly
    sohifirefly Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to think that if I blew my calories early in the day that I would just call that day a bust and not track or count. Then I heard someone compare that way of thinking to this: "Oh no, I dropped my iPhone....guess I'll just run over it with my car now." and that helped me see the humor and error in my thought process. The truth is when you are truly ready you will make the choice to change and do what you need to do. I mean really ready - there have been tons of time in the past that I wished I could lose weight and knew I needed to but until I made my mind up and had a plan it didn't happen. Having a plan helps too. Plan your meals. Take healthy snacks to eat instead of hitting up the vending machine. Set small goals (5 lbs etc) instead of huge ones (50 lbs). Know your why - why do you want to lose weight. That should be your motivation. Think of that when you want to skip tracking. It's hard. There's no magic motivation that just takes over but man I wish there was! I am 2 months and -13 lbs into my journey. My motivation is going on vacation and feel confident in my swimsuit. To hike up to Machu Picchu and not feel like dying. To have more energy to do what I want to do. To feel better about myself. You can do it! Find your why :-)
  • Shendellah
    Shendellah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes agree! Every time I get motivated and lose those initial few pounds (although I get excited the scale is tipping the right way) I also get so depressed knowing how much more I need to lose! Making short term goals is a great idea! hmm where to start- logging every piece of food that enters my mouth TODAY! Is a 'today goal' short term enough! ;) Let's see if I can actually do it!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I think planning helped me the most. Packing my breakfast and lunch and knowing what I was having for dinner. Then I could pre-log my entire day into the food diary and know if I had room to run to the vending machine, or not.

I also quit bring cash to work, so I couldn't eat out or run to the vending machine. I don't go into convenience stores. I avoid situations that set me up to fail, as much as possible.

I do have a small dessert every night. Chocolate or ice cream. Knowing I get to have that "treat" after my son goes to bed keeps me from indulging early in the day.

Just a few thoughts about the things that help keep me on track. Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Log your food even though you mess up. Sometimes that can be the eye opener you need. As I just posted in a similar thread, you have to want it bad enough, and that's a very individual thing. Do any of your family members have health problems? Maybe that's your wakeup call?
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My motivation was my kids. I couldn't keep up with them anymore as they got older. Just keep showing up to mfp and reading, I recommend the NSV thread and the success forum in general, both help keep me motivated when I feel blah.
  • SuchetaMehra
    SuchetaMehra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost my Dad and my Gran (who raised me) in a few weeks of each other. I decided to do this in their memory and started on my Gran's birthday. It has been a long battle, first I had to get exercising, joined a gym and committed to meeting someone there. Let my body get used to it so that it stopped being difficult. Then, almost a year later, I started doing cardio (at least attempting to) 6 days a week. Once that got comfortable (I can run 45 mn now), I started counting calories. The exercise also helps me with stress (so I'm not reaching for a snack as often), makes me thirsty (so I drink more and am not missing thirst cues and conflating them with hunger) and makes me sleep well (so I'm sharper and less stressed).
    Let your body get used to each change before you add another one.
  • Shendellah
    Shendellah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "Oh no, I dropped my iPhone....guess I'll just run over it with my car now." - LOVE this! And so true! Yes I really want to find it in me that I am ready...
    Thank you everyone! Just reading all of the advice and pointers is starting to motivate me more! Maybe I am ready?!
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yep it's really hard. I only have 2 kids and struggle. I couldn't do it until I really had the motivation. I still struggle a ton but the motivation to never look like this again is what I'm using. It really turned it all around. I know people hate logging foods but it's easy and a no brainer because I want to lose the weight so badly and will not stop for anything this time.