How do I meet my proteins daily?!

Options
Hi! I'm 25 6ft1in 170 as of 3 weeks ago. I'm on a 45%-30%-25% carb-protein-fat macros. I do eat every 2-3 hours. 3 meals, 3 snacks and my post workout protein shake (40g of protein). However, trying to hit 241g of protein daily is hard I usually fall around 50g short daily. If I were to get that extra 50g I would go over my carb and fat macros. Any suggestions on how to get the protein up without eating too much of anything else or am I just on the wrong path? Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Your max protein should be 170g based on your weight of 170lb.

A good place to start is:

Protein 1g/lb
    Fat 0.4g/lb
    Rest calories from carbs

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    where did you get 240 gr of protein?!?!!?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    190g of protein is more than adequate, i wouldn't worry
  • productionz3
    productionz3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In that case, am I running too much or too little of carbs or fat?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Why the need for 240??? You weigh 170 lbs, therefore you need a minimum of 170g of protein.

He doesn't even need that much. It won't hurt, but 140 or so would be fine.

It doesn't look like OP is necessarily deficient in fats or carbs, given those percentages.

That said, 0.8 g of protein per lb (136 g, at 170 lb) should be fine, 0.4 g of fat per lb (68 g), and the rest whatever you want.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I weigh 125. The Insanity diet calculated 150g of protein for me, 40% of 1500 calories. I went with 130g protein at 1300 calories.

It depends on where those original numbers came from, and what your goals/program dictates.

OP, that is a lot of protein, hope more men chime in with advice. I'm using Premium whey protein, 60g for 2 scoops. 180 calories per scoop. I put half a scoop in my coffee starting today.

Fage 2% yogurt has 20g/ serving. Another good choice. 0% carbs. I never worry about the fat macros.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    241 grams of protein is ridiculous...you're just making really expensive glucose. What are your calorie targets that 30% protein would be 241 grams? What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to gain weight, lose weight, etc?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to do (bulk/cut)? I think this would help in determining what your macro goals are?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm going to hazard a guess that you are in a stage of body-building wherein you lift progressively heavier loads, eat at a calorie surplus of 500 or so calories per day, and focus on high protein input.

The EU recommends 1 gm protein per kg of body weight, and your 170 lb is 77.27 kg. That's 77.27 g of protein, For muscle-building, the EU recommends 1.2 gm protein per kg of body weight. In your case, that's 92.72 gm.
    Luckily, you're not in the EU and can eat all the protein you want. I'm just pointing out that trying to fit 240 gm of protein into your TDEE is very hard because 240 gm protein * 4 calories per gm is 960 calories. That's close to 50% or your calories from protein, leaving little room for carbs and fat. The most protein dense foods include egg whites, tuna, cod, mozzarella, and turkey. Those are all in the top 10 and easily procured in the U.S.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Even 170 is generous, and 241 is just plain fun, but if you're having trouble hitting your protein goal (whatever it is) chicken breast, egg whites, white fish, and sirloin should be your go to sources. That said, if you're hitting around 190 (50 short of 241), then that's more than adequate. I vote relax and enjoy a pizza.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Bro, don't stress about protein.
    The National Strength and Conditioning Association position statement recommends 1.5 – 2.0 g per kilogram of body weight.

So for you, that equates to around 115 - 154 grams of protein. Now back away from the canned tuna.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    In that case, am I running too much or too little of carbs or fat?

Which do you like to eat more of???
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Why the need for 240??? You weigh 170 lbs, therefore you need a minimum of 170g of protein.

the 1 grams per lb is meant for per lbs of lean body mass. So if you don't know your BF% I would suggest aiming for 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight. If you goal is 160 lbs then having a protein goal of 130 grams (160*.8)
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP. 150 would be ideal, to take into consideration of absorption. Even if you get to be 200 pounds i'd try to stay in between 150-170, unless you like a high protien diet for whatever reasons.

I weigh 150 but I only get 100 grams of protien and it works for me as I still see weight going up and size coming in. I've done the 150 and it worked the same. Trial, error and preference.
  • productionz3
    Options
    Well to answer your question of which I like to eat more of, I fee sluggish when I have like a lunch with a lot of fat in it like a grilled cheese and some salad on the side (this is cheat days meal) but I fee fine eating 200g carbs for a meal. I am trying to bulk and cut down belly fat at the same time for abs. I am lifting heavy at the gym if that helps. The way I have my macros setup looks like this.

Calorie intake - 2754
    Carbohydrates - 52% 361g
    Protein - 25% 170g
    Fat - 23% 70g

Am I looking like I'm on the right path now?
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    241 grams of protein doesn't sound like too much, FYI. You could do a second protein shake, just water with the protein powder.... or eat snacks that have protein in them but you don't realize it. (incase you're getting tired of just meat for protein lol). Eatmeguiltfree has good protein snacks. Also smartchoiceprotein.com and doughbardoughnuts.com
  • productionz3
    Options
    Wait whattt? 241g of protein not enough? I'm so confused. I can't even hit 241g and I'm literally eating and shoving my face with proteins and carbs and I'm not even anywhere close to being hungry.
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes like they said really no need for that much. That's more like what I do and I weigh 220.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well to answer your question of which I like to eat more of, I fee sluggish when I have like a lunch with a lot of fat in it like a grilled cheese and some salad on the side (this is cheat days meal) but I fee fine eating 200g carbs for a meal. I am trying to bulk and cut down belly fat at the same time for abs. I am lifting heavy at the gym if that helps. The way I have my macros setup looks like this.

Calorie intake - 2754
    Carbohydrates - 52% 361g
    Protein - 25% 170g
    Fat - 23% 70g

Am I looking like I'm on the right path now?

looks decent, I would just suggest using carbs as a max, and fat as a min with the numbers you posted.