Gaining weight asap? Why?

2»

Replies

• carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    If you really think you have an eating disorder, you need to seek out therapy. If you're just lacking willpower, you need to practice staying away from the things you binge on. Don't bring it in the house. At all.

And by the way, your boyfriend does not control what you eat - you do. If you like the way you look, that's all that matters. What you eat is all on you.
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    I wouldn't describe 1200 calories a day as extreme (the MFP recommended minimum for women is 1000 calories per day), but it's pretty low for someone your age and height.

The good news is that you've had success maintaining at a more moderate level (1400-1600 cal) for 3 months.

So follow others' advice: Figure out your caloric needs given your activity level, and then do what you already know you need to do. You're quite capable!

(BTW, unless your photo is unrealistically flattering, you do not have a "round" face. You have cheekbones that other women would kill for. Enjoy them!)

• davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    You need to figure out if you have an eating disorder, or are just struggling to get back into healthy habits. You are the only person who knows which one is the case. If you really think that your binge eating feels out of your control, you should seek some help from a qualified therapist or eating disorder support group. If your eating is not truly out of control, commit to a small step you can take today. You were maintaining at 1600, so why not make your first goal just to get back to that? If you can successful all day but overeat at night, spend some time thinking about what goes wrong at night. Are you hungry because you didn't eat enough fiber or protein? Are you bored or lonely in your new city? Can you sign up for a class that meets in the evening, or take a walk when you get the urge to eat?

If you have an eating disorder, you need help, but if you just need to regain your willpower, there's no magic pill for that - you just have to make a deal with yourself and find a way to stick to it.

By the way - you should decide whether you are happy with your body, not your boyfriend.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Hey, I feel for you. I have taken Cognitive Behavior Training and have watched this credentialed Doctor talk about Cognitive changes you can make to help. I am rewatching this myself. I never used to over eat but I am finding myself doing so when I am stressed because it brings me immediate pleasure. I don't eat junk food but I binge on real stuff which those calories add up too. I hope this helps you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdqLB6bTuQ The Title is How to Lose Weight without Losing your Mind.

All the best to you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited August 2016
    jeandinco wrote: »
    He was bothered by the appearance of my ribs, shoulder blades and looking like a "holocaust victim "
    @TavistockToad I don't like how round my face is now

You can't both be right. I suggest going to your doctor together and seeing if you're at a healthy weight or not followed by couples therapy.

I'm your height and my family would do an intervention if I got down to 120 pounds, but I have a large frame - what’s your frame size? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    He was bothered by the appearance of my ribs, shoulder blades and looking like a "holocaust victim "
    @TavistockToad I don't like how round my face is now

You can't both be right. I suggest going to your doctor together and seeing if you're at a healthy weight or not followed by couples therapy.

I'm your height and my family would do an intervention if I got down to 120 pounds, but I have a large frame - what’s your frame size? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

The boyfriend was bothered and her face is now round. She's bothered she gained a little bit of weight.

But ultimately you're still right.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Your boyfriend doesn't sound like a prize tbh

I'm the same height as you and I tend to look fantastic in a range of 135-150lbs, but i have pretty thick thighs that forgive a few extra pounds.

The bottom line is, you get to decide how you want to look. Not your boyfriend. If 55kg is ideal for you, eat at a modest deficit to get there.

If you're worried you may have an eating disorder, no one here is qualified to help you. All we have are words of encouragement.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    edited August 2016
    We are constantly told to be healthy because we want to be, not for other people. The same goes for gaining. Your bf is being a jerk pointing out what he thinks are flaws and seriously, this is how eating disorders start. Get dietary advice from a doctor or dietician, not from the bf who is trying to make you into something that HE thinks you should be. Comparing you to a holocaust victim is a pretty dog act thing to say. Would you be offended if he told you that you reminded him of mama June? Put things into perspective :smile:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    No, plus, my boyfriend thinks I am too skinny so he's filling me up with carbs.

Unless he is force feeding you you still have a choice there. If you don't want to eat more you don't have to.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    In all honesty.. 5'6 and 120lbs is on the lower end of healthy imo.

My husband did the same thing as your boyfriend when i got down to a too low weight, i was around 140lbs at 5'8. He would add extra butter, oil, sugar to my food. Pretty much every sneaky trick in the book to get me to gain a few healthy pounds..
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    In all honesty.. 5'6 and 120lbs is on the lower end of healthy imo.

My husband did the same thing as your boyfriend when i got down to a too low weight, i was around 140lbs at 5'8. He would add extra butter, oil, sugar to my food. Pretty much every sneaky trick in the book to get me to gain a few healthy pounds..

Wait....I didn't do the math with the kilograms, 55 kg is 120 pounds? At 5'6''? Yeah, you don't need to be losing weight then OP. My wife is 5'6'' and 135 and she is toned and thin. I realize different people have different body types but its hard to picture 5'6'' 120 pounds being overweight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

And what do you think?

Other people often see us in a more honest light than how we see ourselves. OP i would take note of what your boyfriend is telling you.

My husband was brutally honest with me. He said he didnt want to lay down with a bony twig. My mum and sister also expressed concern, and to top it off, a long term aquaintance asked my husband if i had cancer.
    I didn't see it, but everyone around me did. As i said in my last post, i wasn't even at a very low weight.

• jeandinco
    jeandinco Posts: 32 Member
    Thank you to everyone who replied. I am now eating better. My therapist asked me to cover all the mirrors in my apartment until I get healthy.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Thank you to everyone who replied. I am now eating better. My therapist asked me to cover all the mirrors in my apartment until I get healthy.

I'm so glad to hear that you're talking to someone about this and eating well to fuel your body. Congrats!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    For eating disorders, you require treatment. You need a therapist who specializes in this.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    The 'put the fork down' comment wasn't helpful or necessary but the logic is - we gain weight by eating more calories than we burn. I recently went from 55 KG to 62 KG - I had a hard year, I didn't pay any attention to my eating habits and I didn't work out as much as I used to. I ate more than I burned on most days. It's okay though - you're human, these things happen. If you want to lose the gained weight, you know how to do this. But don't regret gaining. You are not binge eating. Binge Eating disorder is a very real and very miserable eating disorder. What you are doing is simply eating.