Over exercising

Options
Hey everyone I'm 18 I weight 128 pounds and my question is about cardio I do cardio 5 times a week and weight training 5 times as well so I been running on a treadmill for the past 2 and a half months and I run about 11 to 10 miles 5 times per week and burn around 1500 calories per run into I stop running will i gain weight back if so how much because I really don't want to gain any weight and I don't feel good my legs hurt alot and it's torture to run like this every day should I decrease my cardio slowly to not regain alot of weight or just stop it also I eat 1500 calories per day thanks guys please someone help me out

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you stick to your calorie deficit and weigh/measure your food while using accurate entries, you should not gain any weight back from cutting back/stopping the cardio.

If your legs are hurting and 'it's torture to run', then don't. Give yourself a break. Exercise should not be torture.
  • rodriguez620
    rodriguez620 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If i just stop running will my body gain weight will it be fat or mostly water weight if so how much.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If your legs hurt stop running and eat a healthy diet (no process stuff)until your legs feel better. You said your doing weights & running 5x a week so when do you take a rest day or 2? If you don't watch out your going to have and injury that could leave without exercise, been their done that...and its not pretty
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If i just stop running will my body gain weight will it be fat or mostly water weight if so how much.

If you eat at a surplus, you are going to gain a mixture of fat and water.

But if 1500 calories is a deficit for you, then just eat your 1500 calories and you will continue to lose. It may slow down because the running is probably creating a large deficit for you, but if 1500 really is a deficit for you, then yes, you will lose.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I'm 18 I weight 128 pounds and my question is about cardio I do cardio 5 times a week and weight training 5 times as well so I been running on a treadmill for the past 2 and a half months and I run about 11 to 10 miles 5 times per week and burn around 1500 calories per run into I stop running will i gain weight back if so how much because I really don't want to gain any weight and I don't feel good my legs hurt alot and it's torture to run like this every day should I decrease my cardio slowly to not regain alot of weight or just stop it also I eat 1500 calories per day thanks guys please someone help me out

You eat 1500 cals and 5x a week run 10 miles a day?

You need to speak to a doctor.
  • rodriguez620
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the response but I'm not trying to lose more weight
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the response but I'm not trying to lose more weight

So eat more than 1500 cals AND eat back your exercise calories
  • rodriguez620
    Options
    I sure will even if I regain some weight
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

so basically you provide your body zero energy to keep itself going...you do understand that you burn calories 24/7...like a *kitten* load of them right? Like you don't have to burn 1500 in exercise and only eat 1500...doing that you're providing zero support for existence. With your training you should probably be eating closer to 2500 calories...which is also probably why you feel like *kitten*.

What you're talking about is essentially exercise bulimia...you should talk to someone about that...it's an eating/exercise disorder.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    As long as you don't consume more calories than you need, you won't gain. And as long as you don't consume less calories than you need, you won't lose.

And also, punctuation. Some place. Please.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    At 128 lbs you're not burning 1,500 cal during a 10 mile run, closer to 800 (.63 x weight in lbs x distance in miles) and even if you stopped running (which it sounds like you hate) you're not going to gain weight eating 1,500 cal / day.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you talk to someone, it sounds like you have an eating disorder.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    50+ miles per week on the treadmill, trying to out run weight gain phobia? Yep I would say that over training most likely. Depending on how you go up to those 50+ miles a week.. these are elite athlete miles. And on a treadmill no less. If have not trained properly, then you are gonna hurt and the body is going to shut you down. I am surprised you do not have a host of other side effects as well.. and that means..

You are not resting in between runs, you do the same run every day. You are not eating well for those runs, you are keeping your body from fully recovering. So I think you may be in order for some damage control.

Over exercising is an eating disorder/disorder thinking.. all goes hand in hand. I have to echo the recommendations on seeing some one about this.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    1. There's no way at 128 pounds that you're burning 1500 calories running 10 or 11 miles. I weigh more than that and burn maybe 90 calories or so per mile on a run.
    2. You are running way too much, it's no wonder you hurt. Only run every other day if you enjoy running or you're probably looking at a serious injury very soon. You don't need to run so far, either, unless you're training for a marathon or something. If you'd rather stop running, then stop running. You will not gain weight simply because you stopped running.
    3. If you're lifting weights every day, you're hopefully lifting different muscle groups each day. You don't get the effects you want if you aren't giving your muscles a rest day after lifting.
    4. Use something to figure out how many calories you can eat and maintain your current weight. MFP is good for this. Plug in your weight, tell it you want to maintain and it will give you a calorie goal. Log what you're eating, stay close to that calorie goal and you won't gain any weight. It's really that simple. There are lots of people who can't run or do any other exercise and they still manage to lose weight or at least not gain simply because they are not eating more calories than their bodies burn at rest. You can, too.