homemade foods=hard to log! Help!

Options
jrolfes
jrolfes Posts: 15 Member
I cook a lot of homemade foods. I get a lot of recipes from allrecipes.com. Some of my meals are programmed into this website, but a lot of them are not. It takes soooooooo long to enter all the individual ingredients for a recipe to figure out the nutritional info! Anyone have any suggestions for entering foods/meals you make from scratch?

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    bump
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    to get the best results i log them in piece by piece. Do you have the APP??? They have a bar code scanner I LOVE it makes it a lot easier! other than that not sure what good pointers to get you. its a pain, but i like to get more of a accurate reading on my cals
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It has encouraged me to use far fewer ingredients. :laugh:
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    hmm .. i enter alot of recipes as i make most of my meals from scratch... i guess i must not find it very time consuming as i cannot think of any ways to shorten the process *L*.. sorry :(
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    You can use the recipe feature MFP has.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Anulle calls it well, often times I find it easier to add "garlic" and then just add how many oz or what have you - the net result is the same and if you can search them it ends up being easier...
    I create foods in the database for regularly made foods - that way the 2nd, 3rd, etc. times are easier to add :)
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    i use the app on my phone. bar code scanner is my best friend. But I also like to create a recipe so I have it for later use.
  • determined3138
    Options
    If the recipe comes with calories, sometimes I just do the "quick add calories only". If I use the recipe a lot I will take the time to add to "Recipes".
  • tikilu
    tikilu Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Are you using the app or the website? If you use the website you can input personal recipes ingredient by ingredient and save the recipe as a whole, then, next time you cook that recipe you just select it rather than having to enter all the items individually!
    Another way if you eat something regularly is to go to last time you had that meal and using quick tools copy that meal to today!
    Hope this helps! ;)
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I use this site: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

You can just copy and paste your recipe and it tells you the nutrition content. Beware though, it doesn't count beans well so watch what that says. It also tells you the best and worst parts of your meal!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I use this site: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

You can just copy and paste your recipe and it tells you the nutrition content. Beware though, it doesn't count beans well so watch what that says. It also tells you the best and worst parts of your meal!
    This sounds really helpful. Thanks
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe feature on this site, it's pretty kewl. You just logg all your foods...it calculates the amount per servng...I love this especially when having leftovers...I do not have to log each ingredient all over...
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I love this.. I just started using it and love it!:love:
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    yeah i spent a full day entering my most used recipes...i totally understand.
  • JennsLosing
    Options
    yeah i spent a full day entering my most used recipes...i totally understand.
  • JennsLosing
    Options
    sorry double post
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    It has encouraged me to use far fewer ingredients. :laugh:

This is true! lol
  • JennsLosing
    Options
    sorry...ummm...triple post i guess
  • sue567
    sue567 Posts: 128
    Options
    i had the same problem until i started making my own recipes .. its still better than putting nothing at all..
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    I guess I don't use a lot of ingredients - plus I am cooking for one so I tend to eat 3-4 servings, which makes entering the recipe worth while. I never record ingredients like vinegar, spices, water... that is good for cutting down on time entering, but bad because I can't then go back and recreate the recipe later. I wish there were a way to import allrecipes.com recipes! I love that website.