Post C-Section Workout?

Options
It's been nearly two months since my cezarean section and I know that it will take a lot of time and dedication to get rid of the momy pouch. :s I am still breastfeeding, but slowly going over to formular, so the extra energy consumption will be gone within a month or so.
I would apreciate any advise, from how much/ vigorous i am alowed to work out to little tips and tricks that could help me.

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Have you had your check up yet? Have you received clearance to exercise from your OB? If you haven't had your check up, make sure you ask them to check you for diastasis recti (separation of the abdominals that can be made worse by doing most ab exercises). Also, if you are noticing that you pee a little when you cough, sneeze, or laugh make sure you let your provider know and talk to them about What you can do to rebuild your pelvic floor. Ask about a PT referral. After both of those things are under control, look into resuming the exercise you did before or choose a structured exercise plan.

What ever you do decide to do, start slow! Be patient with yourself and remember that your weight loss is going to come from your caloric deficit:-)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The best bang for your buck will be progressive resistant training.

The belly pouch will slowly go away as you eat in a deficit. How much it flattens out will have to do with your genetics and how much weight you gained during pregnancy.

Definitely take it slow and have patience.

To give you some perspective I've had several surgeries in the same area of a c-section one that left approximately a 12" scar and have a pretty flat lower section. You should be able to see it in my profile.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, make sure you are cleared first.
    A friend sent me this after mine.
    http://www.theptdc.com/2014/09/returning-to-exercise-after-c-section-recovery/

I walked for extra time. I didn't even start running for months after. Then when I went back to the gym I was doing Strong Curves beginner. Do not be surprised to find that you may be a lot weaker than you were before. I was shocked. Don't rush. It will come.