High blood pressure, diet and weight loss

Options
Hi

I'm trying to lower my height blood pressure and also lose weight using calorie counting, the Mediterranean diet approach (loosely) and taking exercise. Exercise in my case is mainly walking, and I'm aiming at 10000 steps a day, and managing between 8000-10000. I'm not eating back calories.

Previously I was a member of a very well known UK slimming club, based on low fat, and was losing weight very slowly, if at all. My cholesterol and blood pressure both rose on that diet.

In the last 5 weeks I have lost 12lb, and I'm feeling a lot better. I'm hoping in time to get off the BP tablets I was recently prescribed.

If any of this resonates with you, feel free to join me.

Replies

• Skybluetrees
    Skybluetrees Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ps Over time I would like to lose a further 2.5 to 3 stones, or 35-40 lbs.
  • cherylbwingate
    cherylbwingate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, and congratulations on losing 12 pounds!

I started seriously watching what I was eating and exercising (Zumba, mostly) early this summer, with the goal of lowering my cholesterol and losing weight. (I have about 60 pounds to lose.) After diligently working on this all summer, in two months I lost 5 pounds and my cholesterol went up.

I am seeing the doctor tomorrow to discuss my lab results and I'm thinking about talking to a nutritionist to find out how my diet should be changed to help lose weight a little more successfully and lower my cholesterol. Simply counting calories just doesn't seem to be cutting it. I'm 53 years old (54 in a few weeks), and I'm ready to take charge and see some results here!
  • GregStone2
    GregStone2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat 7 servings or fruit per day and and high protein helps to lower blood pressure and avoiding sugar and frutose except from fruit it almost impssable to over eat frutose from fruit and and avoiding smoked salty foods
  • GregStone2
    GregStone2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    7 servings of vegetables should help to if like broccoli spinach green beans my blood pressure wasthe last few days past 120 up but now I got it down to 102/71

• CliffGillies2016
    CliffGillies2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 46 and been told I've high blood pressure. I've cut out "bad" foods and lost 8lbs these first two weeks. Any advice ... anything that works for you... would be much appreciated.

Cliff
  • Skybluetrees
    Options
    Thank you all. I'm sorry to be so tardy replying. I checked the thread initially and thought nobody was interested, so forgot about it!

I've now lost 25lbs since 24 July. About 13-14 weeks.

I'm eating lots of fish and chicken, lots of veg, some fruit, olive and sesame oil. Also pulses.

I do eat carbs- wholemeal rice, oatmeal, rye, bit of whole meal pasta or noodles, a bit of bread. But not loads or in large quantities.

I suppose my carbs are 45% of my macros, although I haven't changed from the Mfp preset. It just works out that way.

A typical day would be breakfast of 35g oats, plus Greek yogurt or yogurt and/or fruit/and or almonds. Or eggs and one piece toast.

Lunch-just a salad mostly, or fruit. With olive oil vinaigrette, or oil and lime juice. Maybe prawns or spoonful of tuna or few walnuts of no nuts earlier.

Dinner-protein source and veg. Some carbs or legumes/beans. Eg stir fry veg plus fish. Few noodles. Or chicken breast and lots of veg. Or risotto or pasta but made with heaps of added veg or a smaller portion plus a side salad with vinaigrette.

I'm post menopausal and not so tall 5/4, or 164. So I only eat 1200 a day, or slightly less plus red wine at the weekend.

I hope you're all doing well.

• Skybluetrees
    Options
    Another thing I noticed is that our old aupair and her friends generally agreed with each other that they all gained weight when they came to England because they were no longer eating vegetable soup or a salad for a first course every day.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sure, I could stand to lose a few pounds but my cholesterol and blood pressure is my main focus. After studying the 10,000 different diet plans that are out there, I decided to meet with a dietician. Even though I thought I knew a lot she really opened my eyes. Basically all I am doing is eating healthy. I'm watch saturated and trans fat, cholesterol, added sugars, and increasing my fiber. I'm already feeling better and low and behold, the pounds are rolling off.
  • Skybluetrees
    Options
    You'd have to go to a lot of effort to meet with a dietitian in the UK!

It sounds as though we're doing similar. In my case I was about 50 pounds overweight when I started, so the weight was/is adding to or even causing my blood pressure issues, according to my doctor.

How are you watching cholesterol? I understand that the cholesterol in things like eggs isn't the issue? I don't eat much saturated fat, though.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Excess sodium is normal in the modern diet and can be a major modifiable factor in hypertension.

Aiming for <1800mg per day can help reduce the effects of salt on blood pressure.

You can do this by avoiding packaged foods, cured meats and sauces/dressings as well as not adding salt to anything.

As with anything, low sodium diet may not be right for everyone so check with your doc about whether it's suitable for you.

• ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    karenh2010 wrote: »

How are you watching cholesterol? I understand that the cholesterol in things like eggs isn't the issue? I don't eat much saturated fat, though.

Here is the United States food labels show what amount of cholesterol is in the foods we buy. So I watch that and when I tack my meals here on MFP, it gives me a max cholesterol to not exceed in a day and I shoot for about half of that or lower.
  • Skybluetrees
    Options
    I wish the UK labelled like that, Ibboykin.

Lizery I don't eat much processed or packaged food or add salt. Though I have only this week found out how much there is in condiments like mustard. I've had to abandon soy.

I suppose there must be some in pasta and precooked tinned pulses.

I've had to start making bread, which is a pain.
  • Skybluetrees
    Options
    I've just checked the last 6 weeks and my sodium is 650-1380 average, it seems. I can't be sure every addition tracks it, though.
  • Sira125
    Sira125 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    With tinned pulses you can drop sodium a lot by draining and rinsing them before use.
  • Skybluetrees
    Options
    Thank you.