Outdoors Safety -- GPS tracking apps?

Trail running, MTB, and now kayaking -- I'm starting to think I should make it possible for my family to track my whereabouts when I'm in the hills/out on the bay. You know, just in case I break a leg or get mauled by a mountain lion or flip my boat or something.

Anybody use a tracking/personal safety app that they would recommend? I found a few reviews online, but searching the forums here didn't really yield any results for one that is more popular/user-friendly, etc. I'd love to hear some real-world opinions before I pay for an app or a subscription...

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    The best option is a PLB or SEND for several reasons. With these, you press the SOS button and wait for the cavalry to arrive.

Going down a step in terms of safety, if you have a modern Garmin, you already have this in Live Tracking. If you use Strava on your phone, it just released a feature called Beacon that does the same thing.

I had a Live Tracking session going when I got hit by a car on my road bike. Beth had it loaded at home. But she wasn't sitting in front of the computer watching the map, so, she found out when I called her on the phone. Which tells me it's not really as great a safety feature as we'd all hope. More of a find my body feature.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    The best option is a PLB or SEND for several reasons. With these, you press the SOS button and wait for the cavalry to arrive.

Going down a step in terms of safety, if you have a modern Garmin, you already have this in Live Tracking. If you use Strava on your phone, it just released a feature called Beacon that does the same thing.

I had a Live Tracking session going when I got hit by a car on my road bike. Beth had it loaded at home. But she wasn't sitting in front of the computer watching the map, so, she found out when I called her on the phone. Which tells me it's not really as great a safety feature as we'd all hope. More of a find my body feature .

That's helpful for next of kin to confirm death and receive the proceeds of your estate at least. I guess it has the added benefit of leaving a body as opposed to leaving it for carrion, although the latter would be preferable for environmental reasons.

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    RoadID has an app for Android and iOS. Both of them are live tracking and if you go steady for 5 mins it'll start to send out an alarm to those you chose, before you work out, and will alert them if you cannot. That's personally what I use when I go out for a night run, or night ride.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I have the Road ID app, which works for my purposes. I can set it so that it will notify someone if I stop moving for too long without pausing it, and it also allows my husband to track me (which sounds kinda funny when I write it like that but you know what I mean.)

I'm kinda lazy about using it unless I'm going somewhere that's less populated or it's very early or late but it seems to work fine so far when we've tested it. I only run though so I don't know how functional it would be for your activities.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Anybody use a tracking/personal safety app that they would recommend? I found a few reviews online, but searching the forums here didn't really yield any results for one that is more popular/user-friendly, etc. I'd love to hear some real-world opinions before I pay for an app or a subscription...

The material question becomes whether you're operating in an area that has reliable mobile coverage, or whether you'll need to go fo a Satellite based solution. Clearly the latter is significantly more expensive, but there is little point in a mobile based option if you don't have at least GPRS coverage.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    I use life360. Works 5 miles off of Galveston island and every boy scout camp out except BTSR I've been on. Got it for the kids. Wife uses it for me :)
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    I've used the Live Tracking on my Garmin when my husband was being a worry-wart about me running in a new area while we were traveling. Works great if you're in an area with good cell coverage.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    I use Garmin Live Track. It works really well in areas with good cell service.......but once that service is sketchy it drops the signal. I've used it so much now that I know the areas where it will work. It is very useful when I finish my ride before my boyfriend and I can look at it and tell how far away he is. We use it for biking and running.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    I just carry my cell phone. stick it in a hardcase for canoe trips.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    What is the recommended communication device for kayakers? A marine radio is recommended for power & sail boaters. There are many advantages over a cell phone for emergency communication. Consider looking into this.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    edited August 2016
    I have a PLB rescue beacon made by ARC Electronics that I use to take w/me on 4x4 treks into the widerness.

It's only intended for use in life threatening situations. When you activate the beacon, a satellite notification goes directly to NOAA (you have to register the device w/them every 2 years) and they will notify local search & rescue to go find you based on your GPS coordinates. This Is much better than SPOT and similar devices.

I also bought an Iridium satellite phone to carry with me as well in case I needed help in a less than life threatening situation or needed to communicate directly w/local authorities.

Both are good to have but if I had to choose between the 2, I'd pick the phone because it's more versatile. Both are a little heavy to carry - - more of an issue trail running than kayaking - - but what's a few pounds if your life is at stake?

ACR makes a marine waterproof model, but you'd have to carry the sat phone in a waterproof container. Both are well worth the $. Consider the cost as life insurance that only requires a one time payment.
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    Well now I wish my Garmin Forerunner had bluetooth.
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Hey all, thanks for the responses! As morbid as it sounds, this is more of a "find my body" kind of thing than a "what time will you be home for dinner?" thing. (Assuming, as some of you thoughtfully pointed out, that the mountain lions/crows/coyotes have left enough for identification purposes.) My neighborhood is little to no crime and personal safety in that sense, thankfully, isn't an issue.

For kayaking, I already have a water-tight case for my phone that clips on to my life vest and the phone itself is (hypothetically) also water-resistant. For that reason, I'd prefer not to buy another device such as a marine radio, although I do see the sense in that. Cell coverage works in the middle of the bay and everywhere else I've been so far except for maybe somewhere out in West Marin, where I don't run/ride alone.

Sadly, my Garmin is old and a cheaper model, so it doesn't offer live tracking. (Not knocking it though -- I love that thing.) I have Strava, but I've only ever used the website, so I guess I'll download the app and see if that will work. Lot of good suggestions and input here -- thanks again!
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    If you carry your phone, check out Glympse. It sends a web link via text or email to whomever you want to track your route. They can watch in real-time in a browser for up to four hours. Works great if you are in an area with a signal. Its free. My SO sends me a link when he's on the road.