running hills...ideas?

Options
c2sky
c2sky Posts: 487 Member
I've got a good foundation back on my running. Now I'm adding speed work, tempo and I want to really work on my hills, since my next half marathon is really hilly.

I always incorporate hills into my long runs, but I want to "bound" up hills too because I read that it helps increase stride length.

And I push and stop my start watch every time I hit a steep hill and stop the watch every time it flattens out or goes down. Then I track the total uphill time. I've been putting in different on MFP calorie tracker. I had to make my own. I read you burn 800-1200 calories per hour running uphill.

Now your thoughts, experiences?

Replies

• jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Just my quick 2 cents...Hills are a really good strengthening exercise for runners.

What hills do is work to increase your strength. When you are stronger, you tend to run faster. The key is to keep yourself in a "falling forward" type of gait where you land on your midfoot/forefoot instead of your heels.

Also, You are better to work on turnover rate aka Cadence than you are to work on stride length.

For most people increasing their stride length results in a less efficient run as they tend to put their legs ahead of their center of balance to do it. If your legs get ahead of your center of balance, you end up heel striking harder and each heel strike is working to reduce your momentum (like putting on the brakes with each step). It transfers shocks up thru your ankles, knees and hips.

Like I said... my 2 cents.

Have Fun!
  • KCmom
    KCmom Posts: 124
    Options
    Working on hill repeats will increase your speed and indurance too. Run up the hill, turn and slowly jog or walk back down (to catch your breath!), then run back up, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc! Keep your arms moving, as your feet will follow!
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thanks. How many hill repeats do you do or add each week? I've been alternating between finding a long steady climb to do, after about a 2 mile jog, then on alternate weeks, doing hill repeats. I got up to 9 minutes total uphill repeats today. They were steep suckers, but short.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    Working on hill repeats will increase your speed and indurance too. Run up the hill, turn and slowly jog or walk back down (to catch your breath!), then run back up, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc! Keep your arms moving, as your feet will follow!

This is also known as intereval training. I normally run hills 3 to 4 times a week twice in the monrings right after waking then ince or twice at night after the gym. But nothing less then 4-6miles for me it normally takes me a few miles to warm up or about 10mins then i sprint for 100 yards walk 100 yard sprint and so on. so basiclly is run 1.5 miles then intervals for 1 mile then run another 1.5 miles that normally is about 4 miles.