Depression and ocd

Options
shortygirl1987
shortygirl1987 Posts: 230 Member
So I'm going through depression, I have OCD, and I have bad mood swings, I'm on sertraline and risperdal and I also have anxiety meds and muscle relaxers, I think the risperdal makes me hungrier than I should be, does anyone else have what I have

Replies

• JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    My son takes risperdal and it makes him extremely hungry.
  • shortygirl1987
    Options
    Yeah I feel like even when I try to eat more it's not enough
  • shortygirl1987
    Options
    Sugar_Pill wrote: »
    Have you tried abilify or seroquel?

Neither one, I haven't been on the meds I'm on now but for a few weeks, I'm hoping I can see my therapist soon to talk to him about what's going on with me, plus the risperdal makes me want to eat too much
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options

Neither one, I haven't been on the meds I'm on now but for a few weeks, I'm hoping I can see my therapist soon to talk to him about what's going on with me, plus the risperdal makes me want to eat too much

Are you clinically depressed? Seasonal?

The depression and mood swings sound like 1)Bi-polar or 2) PMDD.

Abilify & seroquel have a lower rate of increased appetite. Depending on your condition there are a lot of medicines to chose from.

There are a LOT of disorders it could be. See your therapist to get officially diagnosed, OP, which you said your doing soon. Till then don't self diagnose or let others tell you what you have or might have. Don't borrow unecessary worries.

If you want you can get a 2nd opinion from another therapist as there is a chance for misdiagnosis and it does happen as many disorders share common symptoms.

Medicines will also depend on the condition, what you,'re trying to treat and what your body can and can't handle IE allergies, side effects etc.

I had a long discussion with my therapist about meds and tried a few before I found the combination that works.

Luckily I have a friend that's a licensed clinical therapist that helped me learn so much and helped me through so much and know what to look for and what to look out for when speaking to a therapist and being on meds.

Since she,'s my friend I couldn't see her bc it woukdnt be right, conflict of interests, etc. But she taught me a lot and shared some of her own experiences. I felt better prepared than I was years ago when I first saw a therapist.

Good luck OP. My thoughts are with you.
  • shortygirl1987
    Options

Abilify & seroquel have a lower rate of increased appetite. Depending on your condition there are a lot of medicines to chose from.

What is PMDD?
    Well the first time I seen a doctor I was told I had symptoms of bipolar, paranoia, OCD and anxiety and depression, the meds I'm on now say they are for treating bipolar, depression, anxiety, and OCD
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

There are a LOT of disorders it could be. See your therapist to get officially diagnosed, OP, which you said your doing soon. Till then don't self diagnose or let others tell you what you have or might have. Don't borrow unecessary worries.

If you want you can get a 2nd opinion from another therapist as there is a chance for misdiagnosis and it does happen as many disorders share common symptoms.

Medicines will also depend on the condition, what you,'re trying to treat and what your body can and can't handle IE allergies, side effects etc.

I had a long discussion with my therapist about meds and tried a few before I found the combination that works.

Luckily I have a friend that's a licensed clinical therapist that helped me learn so much and helped me through so much and know what to look for and what to look out for when speaking to a therapist and being on meds.

Since she,'s my friend I couldn't see her bc it woukdnt be right, conflict of interests, etc. But she taught me a lot and shared some of her own experiences. I felt better prepared than I was years ago when I first saw a therapist.

Good luck OP. My thoughts are with you.

I'm petty sure I asked her diagnosis and then gave my opinion on what she may be treating- considering only her words & the combination of medications she is currently taking.

Any visit to a mental health chat room and you will see thousands of people naming medications that worked for them- and thousands naming medicines that didn't.

I didn't diagnose her. I gave a list of medications that treat the same disorders resp. does, with lower instances of increased appetite.

Don't quote me and make it seem as if I was here to give a "professional opinion"-so out of line.

Lol. My bolded quote was a general FYI to her. In general. A lot of people self diagnose or take well-intentioned diagnoses from others and it can cause undue mental strain or worse. I could have told her it sounds like PTSD but I didn't. Not my place to say. She's already hurting and upset, not my place to suggest more reasons. Until a licensed professional can diagnose her and guide her through coping with said diagnosis she needs to take these suggestions at face-value.

Also, Respirodal never increased my appetite. But meds work differently for different people. So not my place to say so either.

There's alot of bad and dangerous advice on many chat boards out there. Especially mental health related ones. (this was in response to you chat board mention, I'm not saying any advice here was bad or dangerous, again just speaking in general)

Again op I hope for the best for you. Stay strong however you can.

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

What is PMDD?
    Well the first time I seen a doctor I was told I had symptoms of bipolar, paranoia, OCD and anxiety and depression, the meds I'm on now say they are for treating bipolar, depression, anxiety, and OCD

The Risperdal is not for OCD, in fact antipsychotics are known to aggravate OCD.

Are you seeing a Primary care doctor or a psychiatrist?

• shortygirl1987
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

What is PMDD?

The Risperdal is not for OCD, in fact antipsychotics are known to aggravate OCD.

Are you seeing a Primary care doctor or a psychiatrist?

I have both a primary care doctor and a psychiatrist, my doctor has me on Prozac but it didn't help, I'm on sertraline and risperdal, also Valium for anxiety but I only take that when needed
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    My son takes risperdal and it makes him extremely hungry.

monitor him with Risperdal......the side effects are not great.

Yeah I've heard : / we monitor very close. Unfortunately it's the only thing we've found that helps him in the last few years.