Heart Rate Monitor Advice needed

Options
I have read many posts where people have said thay are glad they bought a heart rate monitor. Do you have any advice on what to look for in one or a certain one you would suggest? About how much should a good one cost? I would like to know how many calories I am really burning when I do some of the exercise I have been trying. Thanks for your time.

Replies

• mama2bk
    Options
    I have read many posts where people have said thay are glad they bought a heart rate monitor. Do you have any advice on what to look for in one or a certain one you would suggest? About how much should a good one cost? I would like to know how many calories I am really burning when I do some of the exercise I have been trying. Thanks for your time.
  • MrsCallas
    Options
    I got my Polar F6 on Saturday and I LOVE IT!! I bought the HRM for $109 and it is already worth every cent!! I decided on the F6 after reading posts on this site. You will love it!!!
  • 330pilot
    Options
    +1 Polar F6... and u realize u don't have to work out as hard if you go by ur target hr :happy:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    i LOVE my Polar F6!

It has really helped me - that's my suggestion.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Polar F6 baby. I bought an F4 and within 2 weeks I upgraded. Def. worth it!!! :bigsmile:
  • postalmomx15
    Options
    So where do you get this Polar F6 ?
  • Cookn
    Cookn Posts: 21
    Options
    Do you have an Academy Sports in your area ? That's where we bought ours. If you access Polar's web site there are several suppliers listed. Their site will answer many questions about HRM's. Most large sports equipment retailers sell Polar products.

I would recommend an F6 highly, it's a nice unit with quite a few features. If your usage includes using the monitor at a gym, make sure that anything you purchase has a "Coded" transmitter. The F6 comes with one but some other Polar models don't. If your transmitter isn't a "Coded" type there is a large risk of it picking up signals from other unit's in the area.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I posted a question not too long ago about the same thing and received many of the same responses liking the Polar F6. One question, in reading reviews on Amazon and other sites, a main gripe is that you have to return the whole chest strap to the manufacturer when the battery goes out for replacement. Def a downside to me, is it true???
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    i couldnt aford the polar models. i ended up getting a mio at walmart. there is no chest strap. I love mine and for under 40$ it's great
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    <
    Polar F6. I love it
  • mama2bk
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions! I am going to look at Academy tomorrow for the Polar F6.
    Thanks,
    Melanie
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    I have a Polar F4 and it is a pretty simple model, but does everything that I was looking for. Gives me the basic functions, such as heartrate, calories burned, length of time exercising, target heartrate zone, etc. From what I understand, the only difference between F4 and F6 is that if you work out in a gym, the F4 can pick up signals from other HRMs and you might not get an accurate count, whereas the F6 is "coded" to only display your information.... but if you are not a gym-person, then the F4 would be just fine for your needs!

AND, the F4 is much cheaper then the F6. The F6's are probably around $115-$120 or so? I paid $65 for my F4, and I saw someone else on here found one for $50.

You can find them at many different sites online too - amazon, overstock, walmart, etc. Good luck!
  • BIGZ
    BIGZ Posts: 3
    Options
    I just ordered the Polar F6 but was wondering how big the chest strap is.... I'm a big guy and wonder if it will fit out the box? :smile:
  • Cookn
    Cookn Posts: 21
    Options
    Bigz,

Maybe this will help, I'm 6'2" wear a 3X shirt 52" chest and I've used about half of the adjustment available plus it's an elastic strap.