A question for the ladies!

Options
I'm wondering if anyone else has had their period stop for a month after starting their fitness journey. Mine decided to go Mia this month (I know it's tmi) I'm still overweight, not losing too quickly and there is NO way I'm pregnant. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    My hormones go absolutely crazy when I start losing weight. Back in May, when I started strictly counting calories and walking, I went a month and a half without a period. Then I had two normal ones, roughly a month between each, and suddenly today my period started up again less than two weeks after the last one ended.

So yes, those things happen to other people as well. (and I'm angry at mine for coming back so soon)
  • PinkSuede
    PinkSuede Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely. Ive had them stop. Ive had them come more frequently too. I have pcos so mine are generally wonky but weight loss and healthy eating usually help regulate them better when Im consistent for a couple months. If they dont regulate after a couple months you might need to see your doctor and evaluate your diet and rule out other causes. Sometimes cutting back too much can cause your reproductive system to go haywire and adjustments are needed.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    My hormones go absolutely crazy when I start losing weight. Back in May, when I started strictly counting calories and walking, I went a month and a half without a period. Then I had two normal ones, roughly a month between each, and suddenly today my period started up again less than two weeks after the last one ended.

So yes, those things happen to other people as well. (and I'm angry at mine for coming back so soon)

Mine were fine (usual slightly erratic pattern) when I first started losing weight, then became very regular (28 days to the second), then longer and heavier (although I am mid-40's and I've had four children so probably to be expected) but still regular, and the last one delighted me by making an appearance just under two weeks after the last one ended. Ugh. There are times when I hate being female.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Before I began losing weight mine came on the 1st of every month like clockwork. The first month I began workout I got 2 periods in 1 month. My normal that starts on the 1st, then another that started 2 weeks later. Losing weight completely changed my schedule. It started coming 2 weeks later than it had since I was a kid. Now 14 months later it's beginning to come a couple days earlier. It's just all over the place now.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    An abrupt change can cause periods to stop.
    Are you eating enough fats and oils?
  • elizlagerstrom1118
    Options
    Mine hasnt gone away! I have had mine for a month and it might go away for a day and come right back!! I have lost 15 pounds so far and it wont go away! I have never had this happen and have been on my birth cobtrol for over a year...be lucky yours goes away for so long lol
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Not with my period but a portion of my hair became dry and brittle when I started my fitness journey. I think I was over doing it in the beginning and my hormones got out of whack.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Mine stopped about a year into my journey (3+ years ago) and hasn't come back..... oh wait, I'm Post Menopause. Something to look forward to ladies! I actually Love it now! Perk of being old!
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    yep this has happened to me, stress or change in diet/ exercise.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Mine hasnt gone away! I have had mine for a month and it might go away for a day and come right back!! I have lost 15 pounds so far and it wont go away! I have never had this happen and have been on my birth cobtrol for over a year...be lucky yours goes away for so long lol

That is quite a long time to have your period, you may want to mention it to your Dr.

Mine went a little crazy too...I would get it and then 2 weeks later have it again. I actually became anemic and had to go on Iron supplements. It has since settled somewhat, although I have always been irregular.
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite! I hadn't had a period for over 2 years because I have the implant fitted and have had for a long time. A month of diet and exercise and I had a 2 week period :'(