I'm starving! Trying to build muscle and lose fat!

Options
Ok guys so I'm usually a cardio lover I've always done weight training (light) but cardio has been my thing
So finally years after cardio training and losing over 80pounds I not only lost fat but muscle (From to much cardio & diet).
So now I am in to lifting heavier and building muscle to tighten and tone myself again
I've been doing what I consider intense weight training for a month and less than 15 mins of cardio a day
I plan to continue to build muscle and keep my cardio low
Since I started intense weight training I am eating about 1,400 calls a day
I have one 90 calorie fiber bar before my workout at 6am then after my workout I have one scoop of protein with 11oz of whole milk and one banana blended For breakfast than I eat another banana while drinking this protein
For snack I'll have about 9oz cup of coffee with one tsp of sugar
Than for lunch I will have either two eggs 8oz of onion tomatoes jalapeños and 5oz of boiled beans
If not eggs I'll have two cans of fun with all the above
Or if not tuna or eggs I will have 5-8oz of boiled chicken breast with all the above
I always have a high protein lunch
Than for dinner I have a drinkable yogurt and a natural valley bar
I drink about 2litters of water a day
And occasionally I will snack on my babies cheddar goldfish or whatever he has (but very small bites)
Since starting this I am so hungry about 8-9 pm while I'm in bed I'm getting very hungry!
I am 128 rite now my goal weight is about 120
I'm not really trying to lose weight anymore but I do not want to gain fat weight ONLY MUSCLE
So should I ignor that I'm hungry that late or should I add more food more than 1,400 calls a day. Can I do this with out getting fat again?
My metabo is very slow and if I eat bad for one ya two days I already gain weight
Any advice ???

Replies

• healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am also a cardio lover . After 2 years training on an elliptical or treadmill WITHOUT lifting , I lost weight and also toned and surprisingly , reduces fat and increased muscle. However , I have started doing some squats with weights and some sit ups , but thats it. The reason is that without my 45 min cardio session , I only have about 1500 calories a day and I cant maintain on those , especially on weekends. Honestly , I dont think you should do 30 mins of intense cardio and then some weight lifting so you can up your calories
  • casandra_zamarripa
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If your weight training and going heavy, how many days a week and how long do you workout for? Seems like you should be eating more wholesome foods! Not only is it better but your getting more bang for your buck!
    Why don't you try eating more complex carbs with protein before your workout and after your workout also digest carbs not only is it great for energy source before your heavy lifting your also feeding you muscles after you've exhausted them. And through out the day eat your healthy protein, carbs and healthy fats.
    I eat about 4-5 meals a day but I make sure my food is quality dense nutritional food so I can feel full through out the day and make sure your fiber is at less 30g a day.
    Hope that helped
  • casandra_zamarripa
    Options
    JoJo__Fit wrote: »
    If your weight training and going heavy, how many days a week and how long do you workout for? Seems like you should be eating more wholesome foods! Not only is it better but your getting more bang for your buck!
    Why don't you try eating more complex carbs with protein before your workout and after your workout also digest carbs not only is it great for energy source before your heavy lifting your also feeding you muscles after you've exhausted them. And through out the day eat your healthy protein, carbs and healthy fats.
    I eat about 4-5 meals a day but I make sure my food is quality dense nutritional food so I can feel full through out the day and make sure your fiber is at less 30g a day.
    Hope that helped

Thank you for your help!
    I eat such low calories because I'm afraid of weight gain (FAT)
    I workout strength training for about an hour sometimes a little more Monday-Saturday After my workout I am not active literally all day unless I go to the rest room
    My job has me sitting literally all day than I go home and sleep so because of this I'm worried to eat more?
    What do you think?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    JoJo__Fit wrote: »
    Hope that helped

Thank you for your help!
    I workout strength training for about an hour sometimes a little more Monday-Saturday After my workout I am not active literally all day unless I go to the rest room
    My job has me sitting literally all day than I go home and sleep so because of this I'm worried to eat more?
    What do you think?

if you want to gain muscle you are going to gain some fat thats just how it goes. how much depends on a lot of different variables. you can also do a cut later on to lose the excess fat.when building muscle you will change your body and look smaller at a higher weight,but it takes time to do.
  • cglouie
    cglouie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help!
    What do you think?

Being more hungry when you're lifting heavy really messes with your head, especially when you've been eating on a caloric deficit for a long time. For the past year, I've done a mix of cardio and strength training but just started to really lift heavy a month ago. Because of the extra energy my body now needs to repair and build muscle, I've had to continually up my calories. I, too, was really nervous about gaining weight since I've worked really hard to lose it and like you, I sit on my bum all day at work and all evening on my sofa, other than the time I'm at the gym. In the past month, I've had to up my calories from 1400 to 2000 and I haven't gained a single pound and lost inches.

My advice is to slowly eat more and keep an eye on the scale...if you find your weight is creeping up (and it's not muscle weight), then you can cut back again on your calories. As long as you catch the weight creep early, you can stop it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    On 1400 cals you're not building anything
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I just want to make sure you actually like what you're eating. If you weren't on a "diet" would you choose to eat the same things? Even if you are getting enough calories, your mind can wreak havoc on hunger if you don't feel satisfied, both mentally and physically.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Not all lifting programs are designed around the same thing either. In edition to with City said above about diet, you also need to consider your entire routine. What you actually want to accomplish really should determine what you're doing. Haphazardly doing things in the gym isn't likely to get you anywhere fast.

Typically people tend to view it as:
    Up to 5 rep sets is best for strength gains, with more functional compound lifts. This is what I do, because functionality trumps physique for me.
    6-12 reps tends to be the hypertrophy range, with isolation exercises. Most bodybuilding routines tend to be more along these lines, in order to maximize physical appearance.
    12+ reps tend to be used for endurance, lower weight higher volume. This helps for sustained activity, I've never really done this type of routine.

Those aren't mutually exclusive either. You WILL have strength gains more than likely with a bodybuilding routine, and physique improvements with a strength routine. In any case it's best to go for what you're actually trying to achieve, in order to better results.
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ok real quick, lots of great answers. Yes, for muscle growth the 8-12 rep range is good. Time under tension is what will build muscle, not eating more food. If you're hungry, it's a simple fix, just eat. I only eat about 1500-1600 cals a day and never hungry. It's what I eat. Also try not to do a bunch of solid state cardio, you'll just get super hungry also. For cardio do a little HIIT work and you're good. Can also do rest pause training when you lift so you'll burn more fat later and stimulate more muscle fibers. This is the same stuff I help my wife with and she's killin it. Any questions feel free to add and message. Same goes for anyone else.
  • casandra_zamarripa
    Options
    Thanks everyone but this is no longer an issue
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone but this is no longer an issue

What happened, did you change something?