Breastfeeding and calorie counting help!

Options
I just started counting calories again a few days ago. I have an (almost) four month old son who is breastfeeding. I'm eating at 1710 goal a day, that's set to 1lb a week loss. I am drinking a lot of water but I'm sure I could drink more. I have seen a drop in my supply. I'm wondering if I should increase to maintenance or if this is temporary and will pick back up if I just keep on? I'm kind of thinking that if I keep nursing him, maybe a bit more often to stimulate production, that it will pick back up and that this is just temporary since my body is adjusting to a new routine. I'm not exercising aside from a lot of walking (we don't have a car). Anyone with experience, I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Replies

• jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. My baby's almost four months old and since calorie counting my supply has slowed. I know we burn calories when breastfeeding so I usually aim to eat 200 calories over the 1900 I'm allowed to lose 1 lbs per week. That has helped and so has eating foods which boost your supply
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @jmacaroni - Which foods do you eat to help?
  • jennb2096
    jennb2096 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my 10 month old. I am very overweight and short so I am able to eat 1500 calories to lose one pound a week. I have just started almost two weeks ago and have lost 5 lbs. My diet was very unhealthy before. I thought I noticed a changed in my pump amount at work but the next two nights I got what I normally do. I do drink a Gatorade once or twice a day. One at work and if I take a walk or exercise one then. I found before that Gatorade would increase my supply. Since my son is eating food he doesn't also nurse consistently. Sometimes he nurses every two hours and sometimes he goes 6 hours without nursing.
  • jmacaroni
    Options
    @jmacaroni - Which foods do you eat to help?

Gatorade, oatmeal, hummus, Life cereal, Ovaltine, beer. They sell cookie batter for it or you can make energy balls

My lactation consultant gave me a whole list, but you can google it as well.
  • Jessie24330
    Options
    Thanks, ladies. I'm gonna Google about what foods I can eat. I'm in Tunisia so what was readily available in the States (like Gatorade or Kool-aid to make your own) isn't quite as easy here. I do however eat oatmeal and hummus every day so at least I'm doing something right :smile: )
  • jmacaroni
    Options
    Look up lactation cookie recipes as well
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm exclusively breastfeeding my son, he's almost 5 months old. I've lost almost 30lbs in 3 months. I eat at least 2,000 calories a day and exercise almost every day. I do 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of heavy weight lifting. My diet consists of breastfeeding support food. Oatmeal, almonds, spinach, protein, over 2 gallons of water.. I see a drop in supply if I eat around 1700 calories.
  • brekober
    brekober Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I couldn't lose anything while I was breastfeeding. I weight and logged everything never going over and nothing. The 2nd week I stopped I started losing 2 lbs a week like clockwork.
  • Jessie24330
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. My supply has started to pick back up. I'm been letting him suck for a minute or two even after the tank it fairly well empty lol. I've also been making sure that I'm getting at least the 1710 as I think I was overestimating some of the calories before (like I logged a homemade hummus from the database but when I actually put in my recipe, the calories were half). And I've been eating ice cream that is actually gelato and about 100 calories short of what I was logging it as (I was logging it as a "drumstick" because they don't have much of the Tunisian food on here but after EXTENSIVE searching, I found out it's about 100 less) so with all the little things, I think it's possible that I was only eating around 1400 a day. Thanks for all the support and help :smile:
  • jmacaroni
    Options
    Glad to hear it's back ip
  • MissSeven
    MissSeven Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @brekober what did you stop the second week.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Four month olds who are exclusively breastfeeding are usually drwaing more than 200 calories per day from you. Run the numbers using formula as a comparison and you can get some idea of intake for babies of different weights/ages. I ran the numbers on my own kid using her birthweight and growth curve and for awhiel she was eating more than 600 calories a day, all of it from me. I ate like a horse and dropped weight really fast.