Considering calling it quits...smh

Options
Help! I'm a nursing mother and just recently started on my weight loss journey. It's been a couple of months now and I have loss 4lbs. I'm doing the whole calories in and calories out thing but I noticed I am always hungry. I was thinking about increasing my calorie goal but I'm afraid of not being able to lose the weight. My calorie goal is currently at 1710. I'm considering putting my weight loss journey on hold until I am done breastfeeding.

Any tips, suggestions, help is greatly appreciated before I go through with this decision. Thanks!

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Are you adding extra calories for nursing? How long ago did you have your baby? Trying to lose weight too soon isn't always the healthiest thing for you or baby. Unless of course you're eating enough for both of you. :smiley:

You'll want to nourish you and the baby with nutrient rich food to stay satiated and so baby gets what it needs from your milk. Perhaps that's why you're feeling hungry?

Congratulations on the new Baby! <3
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Set your calorie goal correctly - considering your height, weight, age, activity level and that you are breastfeeding - and stick to that, and you will lose weight if you are overweight.

"The whole calories in and calories out thing" - no, calorie counting is not some magic ritual - but it's logging correctly and consistently: Checking every entry for errors, using the recipe builder, weighing everything in gram, logging everything, no cheating, no forgetting.

If you are eating the correct amount of calories but still hungry - pick better food: Every day, eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, meat/fish/beans/eggs, (whole) grains/starchy vegetables, dairy, butter and oils, nuts/seeds. Do you cook? Home cooked food has great potential.

If you still fell hungry eating enough food and quality food, investigate if you are just bored, or used to eating all the time, or missing some food you used to eat, or if you should time your meals differently. There is no "right" way to eat, you have to do some trial and error.

Oh, and prioritize sleep. I understand that's not going to be easy with a baby, but do your best. Get some time to yourself, out of the house, move your body, see other adults.
  • kateflew
    kateflew Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also a breastfeeding mum of an 8 month old and struggling to lose weight. Kellymom.com recommends about 1800 calories to maintain milk supply and make sure you're getting enough. I did the calculator on here then added 500 to it to get my total. I work in kilojoules and mine is 7800. I'm slowly losing weight but need to do it slowly so I don't compromise milk supply. If I eat less than this I find I end up hungry (and eat too much then which is my problem)

Feel free to add me as a friend and we can do it together!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Better choice of food. More protein, more fiber, good fats. I still eat carbs but I have to really limit things like bread or I just get hungry.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Since you're breastfeeding, I would check with your doctor to make sure that you're getting enough calories to adequately sustain you and your baby. Once you have that, make the important food choices- protein, minimal carb, lots of veggies to get you to feel full. Craving a snack? For the same calories in 13 takis fuego (I've been obsessed with takis recently...) you could have, like, 40 baby carrots. It's all about what you eat!

• lnd0718
    lnd0718 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Show yourself some grace, nourish your body. Don't rush it, you'll drop the weight in no time.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    first focus should be on milk supply, baby's nutrition. That includes getting good nutrition for yourself including protein, complex carbs, fruits & veggies, staying hydrated. Avoid binging, but it would not be unreasonable to focus on weight loss later.

Secondary focus on being fit, active. That can be a focus without it jeopardizing your first priority.
  • Imogensmom
    Imogensmom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had twins and the period when you are breastfeeding is really tough in terms of getting enough sleep, managing your energy -- if you want to wait on major changes then that is reasonable. One idea is to not count calories but to add in as much fruit and vegetables as you can and drink loads of water and just try to get out and move -- go for a walk with the baby every day. Congratulations, by the way!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Another vote for changing up what you eat to focus on satiating foods.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Personally, I had a very hard time losing weight while nursing, and every time that I would really try, my supply would dip. So be gentle on yourself. You are supplying all the food/life for another human being! :)

A few things that helped my supply while I was trying to lose weight: Oatmeal, dark beer, and loads of water. If you are losing now, even though it's slow, keep on what you're doing and let the weight come off slowly. Kellymom is a wonderful resource!
  • BridgetHarrington
    BridgetHarrington Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was a breastfeeding mother 17 years ago. I didn't have weight to lose then - in fact, I had a tough time gaining weight at all when I was pregnant, and after I delivered, I weighed 8 pounds less than my pre-pregnancy weight. This was not good. My midwife constantly was after me to eat more, eat more. Well, I was eating, at one point, almost 3000 calories a day. My son nursed every hour or so, and I was always hungry. And didn't gain any weight from those calories.

In the end, I had to stop breastfeeding when my son was 5 months old because I was not taking in enough calories to make an adequate milk supply. I was so stupid back then....I was afraid of gaining weight, when I should have been thinking about how to best feed my baby. Breastfeeding uses your fat stores when you don't eat enough, so you can get back into shape while at the same time taking in enough of the right nutrition to make milk. Talk to your doctor or your provider about what you should be eating.
  • MissSeven
    MissSeven Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice!