Road Warrior Struggling

Options
My job keeps me on the road 90% of the time -- which means eating out, staying in hotels, driving for hours, and entertaining. It's catching up to me and my waistline. I do pretty good during the day but then dinner time hits and I'm tired/worn out and make horrible choices. I have to work out in the mornings because my evenings are usually full or I don't have time -- but some mornings I am so exhausted I can't drag myself out of bed. I'm so disappointed and tired of feeling this way. IT'S EMBARRASSING. I use to be an active, althletic person and I'm not sure where I lost that person along the way.

A friend suggested that I try using this tool as a way to help keep myself accountable and finding myself again.

Your support and any helpful hints are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Jadesmommy2003
    Jadesmommy2003 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am a road warrior too. I have extremely long days that keep me on my feet but sometimes kill the whole gym routine. So, what I do is stay in hotels that I can get a microwave a fridge in and by my food to make. Easy stuff like instant oatmeal, greek yogurt, smartones meals for dinner, and I have my flavoring for water. I also carry a set of exercise bands with me so if I cannot leave my room I at least can put 15-30 minutes into bands and more time if I do stretching. Hope this helps.
    Crystal
  • sbrouillet
    sbrouillet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! If you keep coming back here, you certainly will "find yourself again". Holding yourself accountable seriously works.. I never thought I'd say I look forward to weigh in's once a week, but I do... ;o)

Friend me if you'd like. Good Luck! I'm sure you will do great.
  • rachel_onamission
    Options
    http://www.anothermaria.com/download/Smart-FastFood-Options.pdf Here is a website that lists some fast food choices recommended by P90x.
  • george_park
    george_park Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as a consultant.

I've lost over 165 pounds using this tool - 135 of it simply by lowering and monitoring my calories.

I have the tool loaded on my Blackberry, Android phone, iPad, iPods (even the kids) and use it on all computers - that way it's never too far away to use.

When eating out I take a look at the menu, enter the food before eating and tune accordingly to keep within my goals. With a Caprese Salad that might mean I don't eat all of the cheese (based on what the main course is). Also find some 'safe' foods you can get just about everywhere so you can go to the default (small steak, etc.) when somewhere unfamiliar.

Enter everything, weigh yourself daily (even though others will tell you not to) and have your significant other/kids/family take a picture of you every month to show you what you look like.

My go to food is egg beaters. Sound silly but they are low in calories, very filling and can be eaten at lunch/dinner as well as breakfast. I put them on 100 cal deli flats/bagels and add some low fat cheese and it's a total meal.

Best of luck, you can do it - and will feel much better once you get your weight down.
  • oshmom
    oshmom Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is something I FEAR should I take on more travel. I agree with the excersise bands. There are SO many things they can be used for. I always be sure that the hotel has a gym. Although, there are trips that are so turn and burn, there is no time. I have logged everything for 170 days...even the not such smart choices on the road. You will find a huge data base of things you never thought someone else logged.

Good luck...you are beautiful!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My husband is also a road warrior (although much less now). He calls me a lot (like at every meal) to figure out what to eat - so I've learned a lot of tips and tricks that have helped him. The biggest thing was to have him focus more on getting as much protein and as few carbs as possible when he ate out. (There are a lot of smartphone apps that list nutritional value for popular chains...)
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm on the road alot too... I usually get in shape in the spring/early summer when i'm home and work is slow, then my hard work goes to waste in the fall/winter when I'm busy on the road at work... I'm going to try to use this at work to keep me in check - i thought I ate healthy, but I'm thinking all of the smaller snacks take me over my calorie limit for being relatively sedentary at work. I bought a magic bullet to take to work so I can make alot more protein shakes and just bought a TRX suspension system (that attaches to door) to try out when I'm stuck at work too. Its good to post a ticker or goal i find on here to have something to aim for that you can track your progress too. good luck, feel free to add