Is there an active yoga group?

Options
I am not new to MFP, but I am comparatively new to yoga. I searched for a yoga group, joined the one with the larger number of members and the most recent posts, and... nothing.

I am well aware that yoga is not typically what someone who wants to lose weight turns towards as their primary means of exercise, but I was surprised that there is a complete lack of active groups for people who want to talk about yoga with others who are doing it and enjoying it. Surely I'm not the only one here who enjoys doing something solely because it helps me relax and my back ache less?

Replies

• kad254
    kad254 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there's a group, but I also love yoga! I know it doesn't always log a lot of calories on here but I think it's great for getting in shape and keeping a good attitude (especially about health). Feel free to add me
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I am more patient and sleep better when I get my yoga done in the evening.

Do you go to classes or practice on your own? I'm still in the "on my own with YouTube"-stage of discovering yoga. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i don't think there is an active group. i belong to the big group but i don't know how much interaction there is
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    I think I've seen three posts in a month, and two of them were mine. :(

It's a shame. I don't know anyone who does yoga, either at work or outside work, and I was looking forward to talking to other enthusiasts about it.
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm really wanting to practice yoga on a regular basis. I've signed up for a one month membership to nail down the basics and then I'm going to incorporate practice at home. Feel free to add me if you want to share videos, advice or do some challenges!
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I can also recommend checking out the Reddit forum for yoga. It's quite active and there is tons of information.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have joined a few specific-activity groups here on MFP, including the biggest yoga group. None of them stay active for long, in my experience, except the weightlifting ones.
    There was even a men's yoga group.....snort....That one stayed active for about three threads and one week. Maybe.
    But, you can join a yoga group and read some posts and identify people you might like to friend. Feel free to friend me. I like to talk yoga and I have a few yogis in my friends list.
  • Leroyoliver
    Leroyoliver Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I can't be my best me without yoga. It's a wonderful thing to have in life. Calorie burn not do much but mental health, strong joints, and flexibility are key to health. I haven't been successful with groups here but very supportive to my "friends". Feel free to add me, mention yoga
  • Leroyoliver
    Leroyoliver Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I also like fitstar yoga - apple app
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    Back from vacation, right in time to find the new replies here. Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

There may be a few friend requests sent out shortly... :)
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 571 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hey I'm a big yoga fan as well, my local studio just reopened on Monday and I'm soooo looking forward to being back at it regularly. Maybe we can try creating a yoga group and posting a daily challenge or something to keep engaged? I'm keen if you guys are! :)
  • sdgbt
    sdgbt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A daily challenge sounds great!
  • daizirose
    daizirose Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new mat and want to get back to yoga. The fitstar app looks great, thanks. I would love some yoga pals :)
  • Netty_Connelly
    Netty_Connelly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Namaste yogi's. Wondering if you found or set up a group? If not I'm happy to set one up. I've over 5 stone to loose. I attend 2 yoga classes per week and endevour on daily yoga, pranayama & meditation practice. I've completed BWY Foundation Course in 2016 which has been so good for my health, following this up currently with the BWY Diploma. Would really like to find (or happy to create) a group of like minded yogi's for mutual support and encouragement ☺
  • AndreaOmYoga
    AndreaOmYoga Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Big yoga fan - I'm interested!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,312 Member
    Options
    I have idea to start a yoga group what do you thing? Free free to friend me for ideas, here's one I'm doing today!

https://youtu.be/C08K8ghRo9E
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    I would love to join a newly started yoga group! I have lost momentum, and joining a group would help me get the drive to get back into it.