Bad Breakfasts

Options
I am struggling with breakfast. I do good at every meal but breakfast. I can't seem to break my fast food breakfast habit. any advice?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Just find something that works for you. I did better when I ignored what "should be breakfast food" and just ate foods that I liked. I ate a lot of salads with chicken, vegetables, etc for breakfast. I could portion out everything, then just combine and add salsa (my preferred dressing) in the morning. It was pretty fast.

Now, I just skip breakfast because saving my calories for later in the day works better for me.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Make your own version of whatever it is you can't seem to stop eating. Many items can be prepped ahead and frozen for a quickly heated up meal. Preplan the night before for the next morning: overnight oats, cook your bacon in batches and quickly reheat in the morning.

If you just can't let it go, find an option that fits in your calorie/macro allotment and enjoy.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    not sure what your referring to. are you saying your breakfast makes your total daily calorie intake to high? are you logging your food intake? if you have a high cal breakfast, you then have to reduce somewhere else in the day. if your going to over do it, breakfast is the place because you have the entire day to compensate. burn more calories that day, skip lunch or make it a very light lunch. so many options to get the day on track when we're talking rebounding from the first meal of the day.
  • meganwrenbrannock
    meganwrenbrannock Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice so far everyone. really helpful.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Egg McMuffin is 300 calories, enjoy.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    not sure what your referring to. are you saying your breakfast makes your total daily calorie intake to high? are you logging your food intake? if you have a high cal breakfast, you then have to reduce somewhere else in the day. if your going to over do it, breakfast is the place because you have the entire day to compensate. burn more calories that day, skip lunch or make it a very light lunch. so many options to get the day on track when we're talking rebounding from the first meal of the day.

This is also a good point. I try to prelog my day when I know my lunch and dinner plans, so I know what works, if I can add a snack, or can I drop something and fit in that cookie that a coworker brings in to share, etc.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Do you get breakfast sandwiches? Try making your own in batches and freezing them. You can add in more veggies and leaner meat, and maybe a whole grain or high fiber English muffin to keep the calories lower. I think Jimmy Dean, Smart Ones, and Special K make breakfast sandwiches - you can take those with you and pop them in the microwave.
    Really, a regular egg McMuffin has about 300 calories, a Starbucks feta, spinach, and egg white wrap has about 260. Those seem pretty reasonable (though maybe harder on the wallet).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Start by asking why you're getting fast food for breakfast.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Before I had to go gluten free, I had Chick-fil-A chicken minis every morning as a part of my weight loss plan. YUM. Oh, how I miss them.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Soft Taco - Bacon 240 Calories
    Breakfast Soft Taco - Sausage 230 Calories

You can eat fast food for breakfast, you just have to have to willpower to stay within your calorie limit.

• stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Make your own version of whatever it is you can't seem to stop eating. Many items can be prepped ahead and frozen for a quickly heated up meal. Preplan the night before for the next morning: overnight oats, cook your bacon in batches and quickly reheat in the morning.

If you just can't let it go, find an option that fits in your calorie/macro allotment and enjoy.

I agree! Think of the things you like getting at the fast food place and see if you can make a version at home. I used to love the chicken biscuits or English muffins at fast food places but when i started eating better I wanted to stay away from fast good (bc I was totally addicted lol) so I started making them similar things at home...not only did they taste better and have fewer fat/calories/etc. But I saved money to!

A good portion of fast food breakfasts are crazy high in calories & fat, so if you think about stopping every day and getting a breakfast meal that takes up half or more of your daily allowance then it's almost impossible to reduce the rest of your meals to compensate. Yes, there are some healthy breakfasts at fast food places, but if she's worried about what she's getting then that's probably not what she's ordering lol

If it's only a once or twice a week thing then yes you can reduce in other areas and make up for it. Just make sure you track everything so you can see what you need to do.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with fast food for breakfast, just stay in your calorie goal. However, you could get a lot more food for less calories if you wanted to make breakfast yourself.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I agree! Think of the things you like getting at the fast food place and see if you can make a version at home. I used to love the chicken biscuits or English muffins at fast food places but when i started eating better I wanted to stay away from fast good (bc I was totally addicted lol) so I started making them similar things at home...not only did they taste better and have fewer fat/calories/etc. But I saved money to!

A good portion of fast food breakfasts are crazy high in calories & fat, so if you think about stopping every day and getting a breakfast meal that takes up half or more of your daily allowance then it's almost impossible to reduce the rest of your meals to compensate. Yes, there are some healthy breakfasts at fast food places, but if she's worried about what she's getting then that's probably not what she's ordering lol

If it's only a once or twice a week thing then yes you can reduce in other areas and make up for it. Just make sure you track everything so you can see what you need to do.

well the only way to stay on track if a high cal breakfast is your thing then you must cut the rest of the day or exercise like a rabbit in mating season. really the only two choices. the best option as has been stated is to choose more wisely at breakfast and brake (see what i did there? :P )the bad breakfast habit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well, what do you have for breakfast?
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

well the only way to stay on track if a high cal breakfast is your thing then you must cut the rest of the day or exercise like a rabbit in mating season. really the only two choices. the best option as has been stated is to choose more wisely at breakfast and brake (see what i did there? :P )the bad breakfast habit.

I totally agree!
    Like I said in my post, when I started eating healthier I 100% cut out fast food because I was eating at fast food places at least every other day and the things I was getting were so bad for me! Now that I've been eating healthy for a few months I can have the occasional thing from a fast food place, but after a few weeks of no fast food, I honestly don't crave or want it anymore.

When I first started I knew what my triggers were (the things that would knock me off the wagon in the past lol) so I cut those out. No sodas, no fast food, no pizza (and a few other) in the beginning and the first few weeks were HARD! but after that I didn't crave them all the time like I used to, I didn't get caffeine headaches anymore and I felt SO much better. Now that I have broken those addictions (bc they were addictions for me), I can add figure things into my day if that's what I want. We ordered pizza for dinner a few nights ago. I ate 2 slices and I was good AND it fit into my daily allowance.
    It is hard in the beginning but totally worth it :)
  • BridgetHarrington
    BridgetHarrington Posts: 41 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I keep food in my work fridge and make breakfast every morning. Eating fast food every day can quickly get budget unfriendly. Before I tried to lose weight, I was making breakfast wraps at work. So, I kept a bag of tortillas, shredded cheese (maybe 2 tablespoons worth, if that), eggs and salsa at work. You can microwave eggs and put them in a wrap with salsa, and there's your breakfast wrap....for several dollars less than fast food. I'm working at losing now, so I don't do the tortilla anymore, but I do microwave two eggs in a bowl with a little cheese, maybe some cut-up pepper or onion and the salsa. My body responds better when I cut carbs in addition to calories (not to the keto level, but less than 100g per day, so I cut down on the bread and wheat). I used to not eat a lot of carbs and stayed thin for years...when I started eating more bread and chips, that is when my weight gain started.

My breakfasts the last 3 weeks have been:

- 12 oz of Silk Almond milk
    - 4 ice cubes
    - 2 tbsp of flax seed
    - 4 large strawberries or 1/4 c of blueberries
    - 1 Equal if the berries are sour
    - Occasionally, I'll add 1 tsp of unsweetened cococa powder
    - If I want a thicker shake, I throw in 2 or 3 raw cauliflower florets (you don't taste 'em!)

This ends up being less than 200 calories, and it is very filling and gives you energy until noon or later! If you are still hungry, 2 scrambled microwaved eggs with a little cheese and veggies/salsa will still be under 200 calories. Try finding a fast food breakfast that is filling and good for you with under 400 calories!

Also agree with the previous poster that breakfast does not always have to be breakfast food. I tend to be ravenous in the morning, and if the shake does not satisfy me, I always have cauliflower, cabbage and a few other veggies in work to snack on. Nothing wrong with a little salad in the morning! I like salsa as a dressing, but the vinegarettes are going to be lower in calories than any of the cream dressings. Also good are veggie burger patties and soup.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with breakfast. I do good at every meal but breakfast. I can't seem to break my fast food breakfast habit. any advice?

Do you have fast food for breakfast due to time constraints? I don't think it takes any longer to fry an egg at home then to go through a busy drive through.

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I love the mcdonalds egg white delights they are 250 cal. I steal half of my husband's hash brown for another 75 and im good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Start by asking why you're getting fast food for breakfast.

This.

Is the issue that you are time crunched and find it easier to pick up food on the way to work? Plan ahead and have things you can grab and go.

Is the issue that you crave particular meals? If so, consider if the meal is really a problem. What are the calories, macros, and ingredients/nutrients? If you think it is, figure out what you enjoy about it and make a version at home, as others have mentioned. My sister makes homemade egg sandwiches all the time, for example.

Maybe it's something else I haven't thought of, of course.