Protien Supplements

Options
Do Whey Protien supplements impede weight loss? Several of my friends said they started taking protien supplements after their workouts and they stopped losing weight...Aside from the argument of muscle mass ofsetting fat loss (= no "weight" loss) , does anyone have any personal experience around this or know of any information that would support this claim...Im taking Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder (Chocolate) about 3 times a week. I'm looking to continue to drop about 30 lbs and continue to build muscle mass.

Replies

• hkrosez
    hkrosez Posts: 53
    Options
    I drink a protein shake every morning, and I have continued to lose weight. It depends on your body. You want to add the extra protein to help your muscles grow healthily. In my opinion, keep it up.

Also, I have a question regarding protein. I ate over 100grams one day, but I lost a full pound in one day. Is that too much protein for my body?

I'm 5'0, 117 (started at 121), want to lose another few pounds.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is great for weight loss! I am not a lifter or body builder, those who are do even more protein, but I do about 80-100 grams a day and about 60 grams comes from whey protein.

Protein along with fiber and water combined with excerise are keys to losing weight...ie burning fat and building lean muscle.

Best of luck!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    the simple answer is... no. BUT there are definitely different qualities out there. some of them are crap, and some are awesome. what will make a difference is the whole picture... calories in vs. calories out and qualities of those calories.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    Do Whey Protien supplements impede weight loss? Several of my friends said they started taking protien supplements after their workouts and they stopped losing weight...Aside from the argument of muscle mass ofsetting fat loss (= no "weight" loss) , does anyone have any personal experience around this or know of any information that would support this claim...Im taking Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder (Chocolate) about 3 times a week. I'm looking to continue to drop about 30 lbs and continue to build muscle mass.

I have a protien supplement twice a day but i also do lots of cardio. A good clean source of protien is good in any diet rather the diet is to gain muscle or lose weight you always have to look at the maintence calories and the goals also. If your friends are trying to put on muscle so there not doing alot of cardio (burning calories for long periods of time) then yes it makes sence that they weight loss would stop or slow down with protien.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
    70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

Just to maintain IMO this is how much protien you should consume. Myself i consume more but most of what you dont use is expelled through waste or stored as fat.