Type One Diabetes

Options
My nine year old nephew was just hospitalized and they found out he has Type 1 Diabetes.

Obviously, the hospital is setting them up with a Dietician and other Support Services after they release him but if anyone hear is dealing with Type 1 Diabetes (either they have it or someone very close to them does), I would love to know personal stories about successes and challenges or useful resources (things that may be useful in supporting my sister and her son).

Thank you for your time

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Your sister should have gotten lots of medical information and guidance. If she has not, help her push to get more. You can offer tons of moral support. Ask her for a list so you can keep appropriate foods at your place for him.
  • kiddiebqueen17
    kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Your sister should have gotten lots of medical information and guidance. If she has not, help her push to get more. You can offer tons of moral support. Ask her for a list so you can keep appropriate foods at your place for him.

His first day out of the hospital, she got him a hamburger and fries from Harveys... I do not know much about diabetes but I know that is not a food choice I typically make and I am healthy
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Type 1 diabetes, which used to be called juvenile diabetes, is an autoimmune attack on the beta cells of the pancreas, causing them not to produce insulin. It was not caused by what your nephew ate or didn't eat. This is different from type 2 diabetes, which is rampant today among both children and adults.