DIET BETS?

Options
keexa92
keexa92 Posts: 5 Member
has anyone tried dietbet or healthywage or any betting site where you win money when you lose weight? im too scared to join if it may be a scam or it will take them 10 years to pay lol lol

Replies

• Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    How do they know if you lose weight or not?
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    This sounds all kinds of sketchy. :/

I wouldn't trust it OP.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Thought I replied to this.
    I have done Dietbet, it is not a scam. You choose to lose a percentage of weight in a certain time, like a month or something. Every person pays in an amount, if you win, you get a t least your moeny back. You rely on others not making it in order that they don't get their money back, this money is shared between the 'winners' and some goes to Dietbet
    You take a photo of your scale with a code word next to it. and if they don't believe you they will contact you.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have a friend (from high school but we're "fb friends" now) who does those and posts about it on FB. I don't get it and I don't think she's really lost a good amount of weight doing it. She also started doing beach body or something. IDK, whatever "works" for you...?
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Its based on the idea that you have an external motivation - financial - to keep on track.
    Might work for some people.
    But if you do it properly, they will pay you, they aren't a con artist
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love Dietbet! It's the best thing I ever found!! Having that money on the line is the push I need to keep myself accountable.
    You weigh in with two pictures and a code word.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I have a friend who has a friend who won this. Like for real not be.g sarcastic or anything it seems legit
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Wait, find me a site that I can win a bet for eating pizza and I'll be sold!!!

This sounds like something that might enable some negative lifestyle choices and perhaps even encourage some unhealthy ways of loosing - simply to get those extra lb's lost!

I don't know much about it but, can't say I like the idea.
  • dawnjordanmusil
    dawnjordanmusil Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 4 diet bets right now. 3 month long ones where you lose 4% and one 6 month long one where you lose 10%.
  • dawnjordanmusil
    Options
    BSBgirl337 wrote: »
    I love Dietbet! It's the best thing I ever found!! Having that money on the line is the push I need to keep myself accountable.
    You weigh in with two pictures and a code word.

I like it too, can't wait for the payout. Even if we all win and I only get my money back (i think that's going to happen in my first one) I'll be happy.
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Its a good idea but I think will fail in the execution.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    It's legit, you have to show a video of you getting on and off the scale, something like that. It doesn't pay much money for proper weight loss, about even money. Probably not worth the effort.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Regardless of how little/much, 1 has to lose; it's best to do the 6 months because you're able to lose less, within that time; than with the 1 month challenge & thus increase, your likelihood; of winning! For example: if you do 1 semiannual challenge, you only have to lose; 10% but if you do 6 monthly challenges in a row, you'll have to lose; 24%! That's a typically unattainable, 14% difference but you pay for impatience, like 1 does; for convenience!
  • dawnjordanmusil
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual. I knew I'd be dropping a lot at first so I'm in 3 month long ones and I've already won one with 2.5 weeks to go. I've also won the first round of my 6 month one with 3 weeks left.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I love diet bets! They were very motivating for me. I stopped to focus on fitness and I think I need to get back to them.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The idea of hoping to get my money back six months later ... isn't very appealing. I'd rather spend it or put it in the bank and get a little bit of interest.
  • dawnjordanmusil
    Options
    The idea of hoping to get my money back six months later ... isn't very appealing. I'd rather spend it or put it in the bank and get a little bit of interest.

They go in monthly stages like 3%in the first month. If you achieve it you win that stage. So it's not all it nothing.