What is the "best" Chinese Take Out meal to have?

Options
I'm going to a big family do tomorrow night and we're having Chinese Take-Away/Out. What is my best option here - i.e. lowest calories/fat main meal? Suggestions will be taken on board. THANK YOU

Replies

• TexasGirl92
    TexasGirl92 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    From our local place they have a healthy menu I get the Steamed Shrimp w/ Broccoli and they put the sauce on the side not on the dish so I use very little of the sauce.
  • vichick20
    vichick20 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Shrimp chow mein
    Moo goo gai pan
    Chicken with broccoli and chop suey
    Steamed spring rolls
    Teriyaki chicken skewer
    Dishes made with steamed or boiled chicken or shrimp, teamed vegetables, and bok choy.

AVOID ANYTHING DEEP FRIED!!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    get something with seafood and veges. Stay away from breaded foods...I recommend Cantonese food :bigsmile:
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Lean meat with minimal sauce and easy or no rice. But at the same time, try to have fun, log it and drink lots of water, exercise and it will be ok. Just watch the portion size which ever way you decide to go!

Have a great dinner!
  • Eats_With_A_Fist
    Options
    get something with seafood and veges. Stay away from breaded foods...I recommend Cantonese food :bigsmile:

Definitely the way to go!
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I usually do chicken with broccoli with the steamed jasmine rice... just make sure you keep the rest of your day low-sodium because the worst part of chinese take-out is the sodium.
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you know where you are going, do a little research ahead of time. Look at the menu online and plan out what you will order or eat - I have often been suprised by what was best when I checked. Especially look at the serving size - even the lunch bowls are often 2 servings so double the calories of what they report.
  • kdet07
    kdet07 Posts: 117
    Options
    I usually do chicken with broccoli with the steamed jasmine rice... just make sure you keep the rest of your day low-sodium because the worst part of chinese take-out is the sodium.

me too! if you measure the portion out, it's not as hazardous as some other choices!
    bring your water bottle and enjoy!!!
  • slheflinVA
    slheflinVA Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree...nothing fried! Choose white rice over fried rice or noodles, and choose brown rice if you're lucky enough to have a place that has it. I've read that most Chinese dishes have between 1,000 and 1,500 calories, not taking into account rice, crispy noodles, and other extras! Usually portions are very large, so eat half and have the rest for lunch tomorrow.

I would suggest a spring roll, 2 cups of egg drop soup, and a cup of brown rice - around 450 calories. Or try shrimp with lobster sauce, and split an order of vegetable dumpings for around 600 hundred calories.

Good luck! We LOVE Chinese too :)
  • mamajess82
    mamajess82 Posts: 51
    Options
    I've had a look at the menu and seriously, everything is fried! There will be a lot of us so I don't know about making special requests! Ugh. Bad timing!!!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If everything is fried, you could get some fried chicken fingers and remove the batter. You'll probably be made fun of, though.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Mongolian Beef!! Really it's just my favorite.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I've had a look at the menu and seriously, everything is fried! There will be a lot of us so I don't know about making special requests! Ugh. Bad timing!!!

do they have dimsum in the morning? that tastes good, is small, and worth the calories (not sure the calories). If it is all high-calorie anyways, maybe just eat what you like (but not all of it)...I recommend cheese wontons if they have it. >___<
  • tmd01029
    tmd01029 Posts: 12
    Options
    The BEST option is to eat before you go. Have a LITTLE snack when you get there.... Steamed brocolli with a little rice.
    Soup is also a good option but very salty. Keep drinking water, it will help you get through the night.