Diet drinks

Options
elizamc
elizamc Posts: 285 Member
Did anyone else see this on-line today? It doesn't give the references to check out so its hard to decide if the data is correct but.....

http://uk.health.lifestyle.yahoo.net/Diet-soft-drinks-may-make-you-fatter.htm

I've read that diet drinks encourage a craving for sweet things....which I would accept (although for me they satisfy the craving) - but that's not what the article is saying.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Has been said years and years ago that diet drinks and also soft drinks damages your body, just rely on water and you'll have more energy and feel younger and healthy for Eternity.....:-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    My favourite "diet drink" is water...no cals, no fat, no sodium!
  • princessrandi
    Options
    I read this article as well. I don't drink many diet drinks (I don't like the taste), but the article doesn't specifically say what causes those in the studies to be fatter. This is more of a correlation study in my opinion, rather than showing how it is unheathy.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Yes I've read that they leach calcium from your bones....and the 'arthritis diet' I try to follow says they are a no no.
  • kdet07
    kdet07 Posts: 117
    Options
    Based on the artificial sweetener studies we completed in college on drosophila melanogaster (fruit flies), repetitive exposure to artificial sweeteners increased the intake of regular sweeteners. You also tend to take in WAY more real sugar after you're exposed to artificial sweeteners- most likely because artificial sweeteners are on average 60-70 times sweeter than real sugar. Also, if you use artificial sweeteners all the time, your body isn't sure what to do with real sugar when you have it, and the basic processes are slowed and ineffective, the energy is immediately stored as fat.

there's 1000s of studies. :) all exciting. sorry my nerd is hanging out ;)

everything in moderation! and drink lots of water!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    This article mentions nothing about whether those individual monitored in the study had similar diets or at least similar calorie consumption. My guess is the people who drank diet soda also consumed more calories than the people who didn't. They probably just omitted that to skew the results to make the point they wanted to make.

The main reason why many diet soda drinkers are overweight is because they use the zero calories in the soda as an excuse to eat more. "I'll have the big mac, large fries, and a large soda, but make it a diet. I'm watching my weight." Lol. Diet soda doesn't make people overweight. It's the food they consume that makes them overweight. Granted the artificial sweeteners may not be very good for you and diet soda has little nutritional value. But it's not the reason people are overweight. Common sense tells me people are overweight because they consume too many calories, which diet soda has none.