I need low calorie dinner ideas?

Options
Going shopping tonight in Aldi and Asda. What are some easy but healthy meal ideas? Not so much salad though as that'll be for lunch X

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Baked chicken with broccoli and carrots (or any veggies...I like the steamable in bag versions) and sweet potato
    Steak (or burger without bun) and veggies with baked potato
    I like to pair a simple meat that I can bake, grill, or cook on the stove with a veggie (or two) and either a potato or roll/slice of bread. It's also easy to make things like this ahead and individually pack them for lunches and dinner throughout the week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For dinners I usually have some kind of grilled lean poultry, fish, or meat and a heaping pile of vegetables...usually sauteed with some garlic and other good stuff.
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I base a lot of my dinners on veggies cooked in a frying pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Then you either add chicken, turkey, shrimp, tofu or lean beef; a reasonable sauce (barbecue, Asian ginger, enchilada, chipotle, etc.) and serve the entire thing over brown rice, quinoa or whole wheat pasta.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I want a low calorie dinner, I will have a giant bowl of broth-based soup with whatever mix-ins fit my taste/calorie budget (things like shredded cabbage, carrots, tofu cubes, cucumber "noodles," greens) or roasted vegetables mixed with a protein (beans, tofu, seitan).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Grill chicken, fish or a lean cut of beef. At the same time, grill a packet of vegetables using tin foil and a little oil or butter and some seasoning.
  • flimflam87
    flimflam87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Buy all the broccoli!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lean meat, veggies & a starchy side. They veggie side is going to be a larger serving size than the starch.

Casserole - I like to bump up portion sizes using veggies. Mac & Cheese (with cauliflower) - spaghetti with lots of extra veggies in the sauce (mushrooms, peppers, carrots)

I like to keep soups broth based. Creamy soups can sometimes be crazy high in calories.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder
  • sweetjend78
    sweetjend78 Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Salsa chicken *bonus* you cook it in the crockpot!!
    -1lb chicken thighs
    -8 oz fresh ( not jarred if possible) salsa
    -1/2 t cumin
    -1/2 t garlic
    -Salt and pepper
    Cook in crockpot on high for 4 hours or low for 8. I've done it both ways.
    Before serving; use a fork and shred the chicken.
    Serve over cauliflower rice (or sliced cauliflower) and with squash
  • scrague
    scrague Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    roasted cauliflower nachos
    3 heads of cauliflower,1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of sea salt, 4 teaspoons of minced garlic, 2lbs of ground beef, 1/2 cup of chunky salsa, 1/2 cup of guacamole, 2 large avocadoes chopped and tossed with lemon,1/4 cup of coconut sour cream, 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos, 2 tablesoiins chives minced. Steam cauliflower cut into florets slice into thin pieces place in a large bowl and toss with half the taco seasoning, oil, salt, and garlic. Once you have done this place cauliflower on baking sheet and roast for 25 min in oven at 425 degrees. Brown ground beef and use remaining taco seasoning on meat. Layer meat and cauliflower and top with salsa guacamole sourcream and jalapenos and chives.
  • scrague
    scrague Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry forgot to tell you this is 296 calories per serving
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Get the Aldi 90 calorie flat bread.
    Get a jar of tomato sauce, I check the calories and get a plain jar to keep the calories low.
    A package of turkey pepperoni.
    vegetables you like. i use white onion and mushroom..
    a package of Fit and Active Low fat shredded cheddar cheese.

I use all these items from Aldi to make a pizza. I spray the flat bread with olive oil..add dried basil..pepper.. put it on a cookie sheet in the oven around 400 or so to get it somewhat crisp.. then I add my sauce and toppings and put it back in the oven until it looks all melted .. makes a great dinner. gives you a pizza fix too. Think I'll have that tonight.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    A cup of red beans and brown rice.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Thai Peanut Chicken Wraps

Wraps
    Thai peanut sauce
    chicken
    broccoli slaw mix

Assemble & eat. When I make them they are about 250 calories each and two fill me up. For a lower calorie peanut sauce, make it yourself with powdered peanut butter.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    From Aldi I get the bag of chicken breasts and slow cook them in water with garlic powder and black pepper. These cook most of the day. I shred the chicken and divide it into freezer bags or containers and from those you can make all sorts of things. We do chicken alfredo (use veggies instead of pasta for lower calories), fajitas or taco salad, stir fry, etc. Cheap and as healthy as you want to make it.