Achilles Platelet-Rich Plasma

Options
Been a runner most of my life, but in October 2015, got hobbled with Achilles tendonitis/tendinosis. Followed doctors orders - stopped running (which was a huge adjustment), put a platform in the heel of my shoe, bought rollers, did massage, used the uncomfortable foot sling when sleeping, etc. I have been diligent about it for nearly a year, and honestly it's been feeling better. So last week, I tried a light jog of less than a mile, and not 30 minutes later, I have throbbing pain in the Achilles and I feel like there's been no improvement after 10 months of rest. I am extremely discouraged.

So after talking to the orthopedist this afternoon, he suggested Platelet-Rich Plasma injection therapy. I've googled it and I think the verdict is still out on the effectiveness. It's also an expensive treatment, as well.

Have any MFPr's done Platelet-Rich Plasma procedures to heal your Achilles? What was your real life experience?

Thanks for any help as I evaluate this.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to that therapy but (and I suspect my injury may have been far less serious than yours) I missed about 12 weeks of running earlier this year with an Achilles problem and nothing seemed to be working until one of my clients referred me to a massage therapist that combined ART with shockwave therapy.

In all honesty I'd always thought of shockwave as woo (the studies are promising but because of the nature of the therapy it's hard to do a double blind study) but was amazed at the results. 3 sessions (that hurt like hell) and I've been back running pain free since (longest run so far post treatment is 18 km.....

Anecdotal but it helped me......
  • version50
    version50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Brian. My orthopedist did not mention this possibility. I'm going to do a little research.