post workout snacks

Options
I was reading a blog post about the importance of a post workout snack. I have to workout at night typically I get to the gym around 9pm and I'm home around 11. Would I still benefit from a post workout snack? I was thinking no just because it would be so late and I would be home only 30ish mins before I went to bed.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Hit your calorie and macronutrient goals over the day.

Eating late or before bed is of no concern in regards to weight loss.

Pre, peri and post exercise nutrition is down to personal preference for all but elite level competitive athletes. Certainly nothing for general Joe or Janet to spend time worrying about.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Personally, I applaud those working out till 11:00 p.m. :) Secondly it would probably take me some time to wind down so I would probably eat something, just cause I am up.. I would make plan in my calories to eat something..

My body does not care when I feed it, just that I do! :)
  • hgnatovskyi
    hgnatovskyi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I typically drink a premeir protein shake after a workout if it's late in evening or night. Just because I don't want sugar before bed (the shakes have hardly any) and I am trying to build muscle so I like to always have something with protein after my workouts. I think it's just preference. If you aren't eating enough protein though, you'll be burning your muscle, not only fat. No matter if it's cardio or strength training you're doing.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Typically I workout at night and I usually have a snack after as I'm lifting and it makes me ravenous. Protein shake, coffee and small snack (popcorn chips or something like that). Nothing too heavy, but I do need something.

And yes, I drink coffee late. I also have no issues at all falling or staying asleep. When it comes to caffeine, I'm a professional ;)
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I workout late also. I usually get home around 10pm and I always have a smoothie that is high in carbs and protein. It's important to be fueled before and after a workout.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I workout late also. I usually get home around 10pm and I always have a smoothie that is high in carbs and protein. It's important to be fueled before and after a workout.

No, as @cityruss mentioned above, pre, post workout fueling is not important for 99% of people exercising.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is going to be hitting your calorie targets and getting proper nutrition throughout the day on any given day. The only time I really concern myself with actually having something for recovery is after a long ride after which I would feel "bonked" the rest of the day if I didn't.
  • BrittneyDiPaola
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I just feel like when I get home after a workout I am so damn hungry lol
  • slmacl2016
    slmacl2016 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have some nuts.
  • BrittneyDiPaola
    Options
    slmacl2016 wrote: »
    Have some nuts.

That's actually what I had last night after my workout, almonds.