weights and weight gain

Options
a0akley
a0akley Posts: 36 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Let's talk about fluid retention and weight training. I just started 21 day fix (again) after months of mostly just intense cardio. I felt fit until day one, then I could hardly walk! Guess I have some strengthening to do. So fast forward to day 4, my diet has stayed the same ( I eat at a deficit, around 1300-1400 cals and am following low-moderate carb/healthy fats/moderate protein ). Only change is the type of exercise and my weight is up almost 3 lbs. I want to cry. Will it even out? I feel like this is why I always give up weights because I get heavier!
And of course I am aware that I have not gained any muscle in 4 days. Must be water weight but curious if others have experienced and pushed through it to end up losing in the end?

edited to add: I am just barely at the top end of "normal" BMI, trying to lose 10-15 lbs to feel better about myself and fit into a bunch of clothes I have outgrown. ...

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's not fat so it's not worth worrying about.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Its just water retention - could be due to muscle repair or just hormonal. It will even out. Are you drinking lots of water?
  • a0akley
    a0akley Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Its just water retention - could be due to muscle repair or just hormonal. It will even out. Are you drinking lots of water?

Yes, 2-3 liters a day!
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    At least it's not 8 lbs :p ... When I began weight training (about 4 weeks ago) I jumped up 8 lbs. Luckily, it's been going down - slowly. As of this morning, I was 1lb less than before I began.

Give it time, don't sweat it ;)
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I took the entire summer off from weight lifting. Early this month I started back up. My weight shot up 7 pounds. Then add TOM into the mix. Yesterday I weighed and I'm back down -2lbs. If you are sure you're tracking calories accurately, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Your muscles need water to repair. You also have lactic acid build up. The only way to get rid of that, is by drinking lots of water and hitting it hard again. ...I know. Muscles are screaming. But push through. Pain is weakness leaving the body...you CAN do it
  • Roshellexo
    Roshellexo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I wanted to ask this but I've just been telling myself it's normal! I'm glad you started this thread as it has just reinforced that :D I started Stronglifts 5x5 3 weeks ago and the scale is gradually going up... My muscles aren't screaming or hurting but I assume they are still retaining water despite this. I'm hoping the scale starts going down in a few weeks or I see some inch loss - happy with either :D
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Purely antecdotal, but when I started lifting, my weight stayed the same for a month and a half...even though I dropped 2 pants sizes.

Take pictures and measurements. I saw a HUGE difference in my progress pics after only 3 weeks.
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Muscles retain water to repair themselves. This is most noticeable after weight training when you tear the muscles and they then go into repair mode. Muscle is HARD to build. If it was easy then everybody would be walking around JACKED! It takes years and years to build a solid muscular foundation and even then is elusive to most.