CAN'T STOP CRYING...

Options
arw060310
arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
My neighbor has been gone for 3 weeks. I was in charge of feeding/watering her cat and changing his litter box while she is gone. Well 30 hours ago I fed and watered her cat and he was fine and happy and rubbing up against my legs. Today, the day my neighbor comes home, I went over to her house to clean the litter box and feed her cat one last time... I walked into her house today, her cats food bowl was full, same with the water.. but her cat wasn't greeting me at the door. I walked into the kitchen and there he was. Dead on the kitchen floor =[ I panicked and screamed and ran to another neighbors house in tears. (Bad idea living on a military post with tons of deployed soldiers) I fed and watered him like I was supposed to. and now he's dead. I feel so horrible. I feel like it's my fault. I just want today to end =[

Replies

• Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that.... maybe the cat got into something.... it's not your fault :cry:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry!

I sit for a pair of cats and one of them was in such serious decline that I was really terrified I'd walk in to find him dead. I cried all the way home on the last day because I just knew I'd never see him again. He died about 10 days later. :(

You have to tell the owners right away and they may want you to bring him to the vet, in case they want a necropsy done (autopsy).

It's not your fault. He's likely been suffering from some sort of medical disorder for quite some time and the fact that you were caring for him is just coincidence.

Very sorry.
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Was it sick or something? I wonder what happened. I'm so sorry. That's awful.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    :cry: Oh no, I'm sorry.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Very sorry to hear that

/longdistancehug
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've taken care of lots of people's animals and can only imagine how you must feel. Hopefully your neighbor knows you well enough to know that you did take good care of the cat and it's just terrible timing.

One of my cats ran away (or maybe was eaten by a fox that supposedly killed a few other cats in the neighborhood....which I didn't know until too late) while a friend was caring for him. It was hard not to blame my friend, but I knew that it could have happened just as well while I was there.

Also, I have another friend who was taking care of someone else's cat once and she made herself some tea there and somehow left the stove on and caused a fire. The cat was ok, but there was tons of damage to the apartment.

So, bad things happen and I just hope that your neighbor understands that! Good luck.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry! I'm sure it wasn't anything you did wrong. Was it an older cat? ((((HUGS))))
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    First thing I did was call my neighbor. He seemed fine. before she left she said he had been going potty in random places, and straining to poop. And I noticed that he had been missing the little box. And he has been biting people (he was always an aggressive cat). But I don't think he was sick enough to die. I'm currently waiting for the other neighbors older son to remove him. After that I'll probably check and see if there was anything he had gotten into. I'm so torn apart. I've never seen a dead anything before (except road kill).
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    So sorry sweetie.
    You did what you were suppose to, so don't blame yourself.
    It sounds like the poor thing had some health problems.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    So sorry sweetie.
    You did what you were suppose to, so don't blame yourself.
    It sounds like the poor thing had some health problems.

^ This

No matter how hard you try, some things are just out of your control
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    It wasn't your fault!!!

When I was a kid, me and my mom went to Disneyland and had a friend watch our cats. One was old, and our last day at Disneyland we got a call that it had died...in the guys arms. >.< This is one of the nicest guys ever, so I know it was legit (he even cooks steaks for his dog for dinner).

So, don't feel bad
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    *hugs* Please stop kicking your self. :flowerforyou:

You were very sweet to take care of this cat, and for the loving he showed you I would be willing to guess for an agressive cat that would mean a whole lot about you as a person. :heart:
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I want to cry with you! It can be a horrible feeling and sadly animals die sometimes without us even thinking anything is wrong. You did the right thing sweetie.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    THAT SUCKS!!! Im sorry.
  • gotabayqh
    gotabayqh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First thing I did was call my neighbor. He seemed fine. before she left she said he had been going potty in random places, and straining to poop. And I noticed that he had been missing the little box. And he has been biting people (he was always an aggressive cat). But I don't think he was sick enough to die. I'm currently waiting for the other neighbors older son to remove him. After that I'll probably check and see if there was anything he had gotten into. I'm so torn apart. I've never seen a dead anything before (except road kill).

If you live near a vet school sometimes they'll do free necropsies to see what happened to the cat. I work in the necropsy department at K-State and they do that here.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you live near a vet school sometimes they'll do free necropsies to see what happened to the cat. I work in the necropsy department at K-State and they do that here.

This is good to know! Thanks for sharing this information.