Where do I log this under exercise?

Options
On Fridays I cleans stalls at a horse boarder. This includes cleaning out the poop & putting down new bedding.

It's a lot of work and it takes hours to do it, so I want to log it. What would you log this under for exercise?

Replies

• myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    lol, anyone?
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    How about "gardening, general"??
  • kldobbs02
    kldobbs02 Posts: 8
    Options
    Maybe "Cleaning, heavy effort"
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Heavy Gardening?
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Probably best to get a heart rate monitor and create your own exercise for it. Your heart rate monitor will tell you (approx) how many calories your burn during exercise.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Under cardio there is one for cleaning, vigorous heavy effort. I'd go with that! That said, even though it is probably an amazing burn, if it's a part of your every day lifestyle I'm not sure it should be counted. For example, I only log cleaning when I go above and beyond what I would normally do in a day, like cleaning out the basement or something like that.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'd get a heart rate monitor...I got one off Amazon for about $40 (that included shipping).
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    if feasible, invest in a Heart Rate Monotir (HRM), and generate an exercise. this will help w/accurate logging.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    Probably best to get a heart rate monitor and create your own exercise for it. Your heart rate monitor will tell you (approx) how many calories your burn during exercise.

I really want one, but I have to save up. Any opinion on which kind to get?
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Under cardio there is one for cleaning, vigorous heavy effort. I'd go with that! That said, even though it is probably an amazing burn, if it's a part of your every day lifestyle I'm not sure it should be counted. For example, I only log cleaning when I go above and beyond what I would normally do in a day, like cleaning out the basement or something like that.
    She said she only does it on friday so that isn't going to be something you can count in your base activity level. I'd go ahead and log it as exercise since it's not a daily activity.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options

I agree. But it's a lot of work on the arms and it's only once a week. So I think I'll probably take every friday off from the 30 Day Shred so I can do this in place of it.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Is this a regular activity that you did prior to starting MFP? Or is this something new that you are doing. If it's something you were already doing, I wouldn't call it exercise. Otherwise I would use Heavy Cleaning until you can get a HRM.
  • vmrink
    vmrink Posts: 42
    Options
    I think your best option may be to buy a HRM and let that tell you how many calories you've burned. Then you can create an custom exercise entry for "Cleaning Stalls". Now, I don't know if the exercise has to be really vigorous and make your heart pump in order for it to register on the device or not. I'm hoping to buy one myself this weekend.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    Is this a regular activity that you did prior to starting MFP? Or is this something new that you are doing. If it's something you were already doing, I wouldn't call it exercise. Otherwise I would use Heavy Cleaning until you can get a HRM.

It's new, just started today. And it will take about 3hrs every Friday.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Didn't gather that this was something new to your life! I would surely log it then :) Your arms are probably going to be sore tomorrow!
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    Bought an HRM, Polar FT4! =) Thank you everyone
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options

Cool ... let us know how many calories it burns ... bet it's up there :)

jim_shoveling3.jpg
  • myiceisonfire
    Options

Cool ... let us know how many calories it burns ... bet it's up there :)

It took me 61minutes, and I burned 533 calories. Thanks to the HRM, now I know =)